Newbie Mistake ! Help Required :blush:

Well.....yup I did it...

I bought my first set of armor from ebay, then started reading the forums.....and realised I may have bought a recast.

I got it from here....

----------

anyone shed any light on it......

These are close up pics of the helmet. I do realise there will either be a fair bit of modding or I may have to look at getting a second set of armor (which right at the moment is very feasible ;) )

I also know that the tube stripes are in the wrong position, so that needs sorted......

All comments, good or bad most welcome......

Cheers everyone...-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

It's recast FX modified armor, and a SDS helmet. Don't take it too hard, it happens to alot of new people. At least you got your armor, and can tweak it as needed and move forward.

If the helmet were mine, I'd extend or repaint the frown extending it farther to the sides, replace the tube stripes with ones in the proper spot, replace the lenses since they look light and you don't want your eyes seen in pictures, and paint the ear screw heads white. Non e of those tweaks are hard or expensive, but that's just my thoughts. It's 501st acceptable as is, so my suggestions are optional.

Cheers ST,

Yeah !! I'm not taking it too hard, but, at least I've got a good base for working on and can once done can move to a decent set when ready !! I didnt pay that much for it to be honest (I was very lucky !!)

As for the helmet. I noticed the frown was short, have checked out starwarshelmets.com and the sds one and can see what needs to be done. I'll do a search for proper tube stripes and lenses for it. Am I right in saying that I would need to trim the rubber on the brow as I think it goes too far round...

I dont feel too bad, but....least I've got something that is very workable and not a complete dud.....lesson learnt !!

It's recast FX modified armor, and a SDS helmet. Don't take it too hard, it happens to alot of new people. At least you got your armor, and can tweak it as needed and move forward.

If the helmet were mine, I'd extend or repaint the frown extending it farther to the sides, replace the tube stripes with ones in the proper spot, replace the lenses since they look light and you don't want your eyes seen in pictures, and paint the ear screw heads white. Non e of those tweaks are hard or expensive, but that's just my thoughts. It's 501st acceptable as is, so my suggestions are optional.

Scott M does tube stripes for $3. Lenses can be made yourself using a green acetate replacement face shield from any welding supply store $5 and you'll have plenty left over, or you can buy them premade too.

How does the brow trim stay on the helmet. Some are just stuck on with adhesive, others go under the edge of the dome. If it's just stuck on you could shorten it on the sides, but if its under the plastic edge, you may want to leave it to cover the seam.

hey Bruce - pm's replied

every1 makes mistakes dude, dont feel too bad.

the link u provided is one of 3 known recasters in UK - they all use FX recasted armour. Some with modififed SDS lids, some with plain old FX. Common mistake buying from em. As is, the kit will prob be clearable tbh.

ta for links Terrell - the paint for the frown is real easy to get in UK - Humbrol gloss grey (admiralty grey); let me know - I got a local hobby store that stocks it. decals as details provided by by teh DO or trooperdecals for a UK based provider.

also sign up with UKG - loads of UK troopers who can lend a hand easy :D

Nate

COOL.....

Cheers guys.....

As i mentioned earlier, I'm actually quite happy to see that I paid just over half on what they have been sold for lately. So that's not a bad thing....

I'll check out the guys for the decals and see if the local hobby store here has the grey.....

Away to sign up now :-)