going to a con.

Gearsofhalo

hi all, I am going to New York Comic Con on february 6th- 8th, and I am going In TK armor. i am not part of the 501st yet, so I have never done this before. With the experiences you guys have had, can you guys tell me how you guys get your suits on at a con? I have no clue how or where I can get suited up. Do I put it on in my apartment, and wear it all the way to the con, or do I do it in a bathroom at the con? Please tell me what you guys do at cons so I can get some ideas. thanx

Take a friend not in armor. Spotters make all the difference.

Meet the 501st there. Have a blast.

After the event trim all the spots that rub and bite.

Repeat.

:D

Hey Daniel, take your armor to the Con in a hockey bag or something, find the 501st Legion set up ( they usually have one ) find some members, if possible the garrison leader or officers and introduce yourself, let them know you are here to hopefully join their ranks. Thats what I did last summer, they were very freindly and pointed me to a dressing room they had set aside for suiting up. ( They usually have a room reserved for them ) Once in the room there are usually a few people that can assist you in putting yer armor on. Good luck and have a great time. :)

Having a spotter is definitely Rule #1.

Other than that, I'd ask the 501st members in attendance. Like Paul said, they'll definitely be in attendance and will more than likely have a fan table set up. If you register at the Empire City Garrison forum, I'm sure there's someone there that can provide additional answers to your questions. Plus it lets them know you're coming and they can provide any do's or don'ts specific to trooping in NYC.

Enjoy, cons are always a blast! ^_^

Also hit the local garrison website. It'll have a forum and let them know your coming in armor. I'm not sure where NYCC is or else I'd tell you the garrison as there are a couple in NY.

Have a blast! It was my first convention since I was in high school (which was a LONG time ago ... no pun intended) and the ECG really made everyone who came up feel at home. The 501st mixer the ECG set up was the best.

Just look for me, I'll help you out... ;) I'll be there all three days.

Where do you live? If you are in NJ come join our local forum, you don't need to be an official 501st member to register and participate in our forums:

http://www.501stner.com/members/index.php?act=home

If you are in NY, depends on what part. Check out Empire City Garrison, but I think you may have to have 501st status to register on theirs:

http://www.empirecitygarrison.com/forum/

If you are in Pennsylvania check out Garrison Carida. They have a training section I think you can access without 501st status:

http://garrisoncarida.com/

If you live elsewhere let me know I'll send you to the local forum.

As for going to the con, like everyone has said, just look for the 501st or Rebel Legion tables and let them know you are a member of this forum but haven't been accepted into the Legion, and that you are interested in same (if you are, LOL). We'll help you out.

As for changing, the ECG is the host Garrison, so they set the rules. Generally you have to be an official member of the 501st and registered as a volunteer with them to gain access to changing room. There are reasons for this, however we can still help you out. We can find a place to help you change if needed. I've been to many cons on actual troops and still had to change in the bathroom, so it's really not a big deal.

Is your TK finished? If so and you want to joing the 501st and need help registering shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up...