Hardhat liner?

RBJ

..so I am putting my helmet together now..I have read a bunch of pros and cons to using the supplied liner..my main questions are; if you use the liner, does it hold the helmet secure or does it bobble around? Also, does the straping eventualluy hurt during long troops? I tend to think foam may be a better option ( I wear glasses and I am concerned about them hitting inside) but I am worried that foam may be to hot here in So Cal! Any help,sugestions, pics of your helmets would help me alot! Thanks!

I wear glasses too and I struggled to use the supplied helmet liner with the large ratchet wheel in back. Instead, I bought a hardhat with liner at Home Depot that DIDN'T have the ratchet adjuster in the back and that gave me enough room to wear with my glasses. Cost is like $7-8.

Note: I saved the ratchet helmet liner and the unused hardhad used them in my son's rebel fleet trooper helmet and they worked great!

I don't have any trouble with the helmet staying on my head (it's an FX). It doesn't bobble around and with flat lenses, I've had no trouble seeing.

Don G.

TK-5372

• 1 month later...

I may be a little late on this, but I'm always putting liners in helmets. I buy the el-cheapo ones from Home Depot (the ones without the wheel because I will only ever adjust it once. I put it on my head first and size it. I then tape all the cloth straps together in the center just to keep them nice and neat. My next liner, I will cut these off because they serve no purpose for me. My neck is so long, that the helmet needs to sit as low as possible, so the top of my head hits the top of the helmet anyway. The straps are just sitting in there.

After sizing (and possible taping), I fold the tabs up and tape them into the helmet first with masking tape. I put the helmet on and see how it sits. If it's wonky, I loosen the tape and reposition. Once it is where I want it, I mark off where the tabs are and remove the tape. I will then hotglue the tabs in place. I do not sand the helmet where the tabs go either. You will get a great bond if you do sand, but if the liner ever breaks (I've had this happen) you'll have a tougher time pulling it out.

Once glued, I go over each tab with a strip of industrial strength velcro (the fuzzy side) to further strengthen the connection between the tab and the helmet.

Another place you can get it is thru Grainger

----------

Because I also wear glasses, I had to abort the ratchet style and use this one. The nice thing about this lines is that the straps are adjustable, so it moves with the mounts. This means I can place the mounts without having to measure and tape, then use the adjustment to determine the best location. I had no problems once I installed the clips getting the liner to work, and had no issues with my clips being in the wrong place.

Best of luck,

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

I use the basic hard hat Liner that came with my helmet, it starts to hurt my forhead after about three hours of wear, I am thinking about puting cubes of fome in it, and ripping out the liner :unsure:

For all the folks with hardhat liners: I sweat. A LOT! One of the best products out there for this is called Terry Toppers. There are several manufacturers using similar names. It's a terry cloth sweatband that fits around the vinyl cr@p on the front of the liner. If you have problems with the sweatband after a couple of hours trooping, give these a shot.

:D

---------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020