Where to start assembling?

dcx13

Long story short, purchased a complete TD from an Old Line Carrison member. On paper, it was a difference of 1" and 20lbs. In reality, it's going to be more cost-effective to start a new build & find someone who's the same size to "move along" the Sandy to. 

Question: When starting a new TK/TD build, forgetting individual versions of kits for a moment, is there a preferred "keystone" piece to start the sizing with; i.e. ab & kidney sections properly sized first, then everything else keys from that? My thought was to start there, as the core, and continue outward - chest/back, legs, arms, etc. Would this make sense, or is there a better way? I will have the new kit just before the end of the year, so I'm making my notes now, with the goal of being finished and approved (at least basic) before April. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

This is also posted over at MEPD, so I apologize if you're reading this again.

Edited by dcx13

Start with anything you feel is less scary :D 

Personally I would start with the legs, you will need these before you can do final strapping to the abdomen/chest areas but as I say it's entirely up to you were you start.

Great thread here on return edges

Many helpful threads can be found here

Measure twice and cut once, and ask questions, there are no silly questions only silly mistakes from not asking a question ;) Lots of members frequent these forums and are ready to lend a hand if needed.

Good luck with the build

• Like 1

I would highly recommend starting a build thread here, Dan.  You will probably have a ton of questions (the more the better) and we are here to help with every issue you come across.  In your thread it's really important to include photos.  Lots of photos.  Not only to show off your progress, but it makes it SO much easier to assist you when we can see the issue in detail.

I have a tutorial here that will help.

Looking forward to following your thread and seeing the results!  :jc_doublethumbup:

5 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

I would highly recommend starting a build thread here, Dan.  You will probably have a ton of questions (the more the better) and we are here to help with every issue you come across.  In your thread it's really important to include photos.  Lots of photos.  Not only to show off your progress, but it makes it SO much easier to assist you when we can see the issue in detail.

I have a tutorial here that will help.

Looking forward to following your thread and seeing the results!  :jc_doublethumbup:

I have a WIP placeholder over on MEPD, since the 2nd-hand kit was already a TD, and the new one will be as well. I may most likely just keep the build over here, as there seems to be a more active base here vs in the sand. It's still going to be a TD. As iconic as the shiny whites are, the real-world scuffs & dings will just hide better on a TD. And we get to ride giant lizards!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dcx13 said:

I have a WIP placeholder over on MEPD, since the 2nd-hand kit was already a TD, and the new one will be as well. I may most likely just keep the build over here, as there seems to be a more active base here vs in the sand. It's still going to be a TD. As iconic as the shiny whites are, the real-world scuffs & dings will just hide better on a TD. And we get to ride giant lizards!

You are still welcome to ask questions here even if you will be a dirty boy :laugh1:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You are still welcome to ask questions here even if you will be a dirty boy :laugh1:

Everybody over here's afraid of a little sand? Gonna have to start calling you all Anakin now. :laugh1:

Seriously though, the new kit is a B pull, so I think sticking to the TD is a safe play so any B issues can be "fixed" with weathering.