Dialing In Resin Exposure Time

revlimiter

Coming from FDM printers since about 2016 to SLA printers this past Christmas, the thing that was most difficult for me to grasp at first was exposure time. This post will, unfortunately, not be extremely high effort on my part (I don't have photos of my own to share) but it's what helped me get going and figure out my own exposure times vs relying on lists and forum posts.

First - you need the XP2 Validation Matrix.

https://github.com/Photonsters/Resin-exposure-finder-v2/releases/download/BETA_2.1/ResinXP2-ValidationMatrix_200701.stl

This file is "beta" from 2020 and millions of people have used it. This is indeed the one.

There's a TON of different exposure tests out there, but this one prints quickly and gets you going quickly. It is also explained in depth in the video below...

Next, you need to watch this vid that explains how to understand the printed validation matrix and adjust your exposure time accordingly. It is INCREDIBLY helpful.  My prints went from "eh, not bad" to "OMG lookit this detail!!!" after one viewing and a couple test prints of that matrix. I'd printed other tests but wasn't totally sure what I was looking at. The video above taught me what I needed to know. 

Lastly - some resin makers publish suggested exposure settings for various printers. The best listing I've found is Siraya Tech.

https://siraya.tech/pages/support (click View Guide on the resin you own and then go to their google drive link on the following page)

Suggested exposure settings should be viewed as a good starting point for your test matrix. Your printer may need to go up or down in terms of exposure time depending on the age of the printer and age of the resin.

Hope this helps kickstart some awesome prints. :dancing-trooper:

• Like 3