Lower leg help Velcro…

Dubfunkstar

I just spent a fair bit of time struggling with this problem.  I'd be curious to see a photo of the back seam and how much overlap you have.  

I had to do a couple of things because my shins had only about a 1/4" of overlap and the narrow strip velcro just wasn't going to stay put.

I did the following: (Bear in mind I have not yet officially trooped, so some of this is subject to change after putting on some miles.)
I extended the underneath piece by gluing an extra strip under it.  It ends up being a little offset.

Then I used a long strip (full length of the shin piece) of non-adhesive velcro and glued it down with e-6000. It ended up extending it to a little over 1/2" and seems to be a lot more stable and allows it enough overlap to catch and hold.
I can post a picture if it helps.

One thing I just noticed is you have rivets on your sniper plate (level 2 requirement OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Sniper knee plate must not have visible rivets or fasteners attaching it to the shin.

. You also have quite a bit of material which could be trimmed.

99ee63a27a73d6ea71ca12695550f288.thumb.jpg.6ce779f318d8244d18243a1b4511a860.jpg

Many of us find we have to apply some heat to get the shins to close properly, either heat gun (practice needed) or hot water bath. Using velcro they will be open slightly but generally not seen from the outside as they are overlapped outside over inside.

A couple of random threads may be of help

Cricket has a very nice magnet closure system if you want something else

Or go original with hook and eye

gallery_12157_15_27566.jpg

• Like 1

I also did the rivet thing on accident and had to remove them.  A little ABS paste filled the holes right up.  I think Sugru might work as well, and be a lot less messy.

I took a few photos of the backs of my shin pieces after I added extensions.

Left side has shim glued underneath, right side same thing but overlapping. Velcro extends the full width of the extended parts + the overlap on the original shin.

1X11Kuj.jpg

SvuBolY.jpg

0yuahGU.jpg

Hope this is useful information!

Edited by TikiTechie
  • Like 1