ANH TK HERO holster details

Greg Sickmeier

I’m working my way through reconfiguring a new SDS (Shepperton Design Studios) TK HERO kit to meet CRL guidelines.

I’ve assembled a new ammo belt with canvas and proper rivet s additions & drop boxes mounting.

Question is, the 1” natural leather straps have a smooth and rough side. From reference photos, it appears the rough side should be facing out. I plan to use 2 silver 8mm rivets per strap (4 total) to fasten them to the canvas belt per TK HERO CRL guidelines.

Proper location is well defined in other build threads.

Thanks!

A few quick notes if I may, Greg..

I know you are building this yourself:duim: but note that the model armor shown on their site has quite a few issues.. one being overlap construction (blue arrows) on the rear of the thighs, which was not used until ROTJ.   Overlap is fine for Basic and EI, but for Centurion they will require the butt-join method with cover strips as seen in ANH/ESB.  Did they send you enough ABS to make these?

You have probably figured this out by now, but when building, be sure not to emulate the model they show, which has a myriad of issues.  Note the shape of the thigh ammo pack rear, the screws in the sniper knee plate and the fact that the calf closures are facing the wrong direction.

Reference images

eaWi1Rt.png    FHqQgrx.png               RP9ZG74.jpg   XGUL6o0.jpg

Also, if I'm not much mistaken the blue buttons on the ab-button plates are separate on SDS armor.  Again, this is something that is not screen accurate but is OK for Basic and Level 2.  For Level 3 the buttons must be the same size and integrated into the plate(s).

Reference image

dCR3mJi.png     sLLiLKU.png            LSuei4K.jpg?1

I would highly suggest starting a build thread here so that we can help guide you and answer any questions you may have.  Posting photos (and lots of em') in it will help a great deal.  Posting pics is especially important when you have an issue, so it's better to ask ahead of time (before cutting/gluing).

Looking forward to seeing your progress, and keep those questions rolling in!!

Thank you Joseph for your input!

No, SDS did not send me any ABS strips to convert the overlap seams.

Does this apply to them all, biceps, forearms, thighs & calves?

I finished the ammo belt & holster assembly last night and plan to work on the shoulders today. The SDS ammo belt that came with the kit is ABS so there may be enough material in it to do all the cover strips.

The blue buttons on the ab plate are OK but wrong shade of blue. I have a bottle of Humbrol #14 French Blue on the way.

I have been using Ulkwrath’s TK build thread for reference a lot. This forum is awesome.

I will get an order to you later today for the gloves & hand guards.

I already bought a comlink/clip but still looking for the grappling hook/box.

I have addressed the thigh ammo box and have done a pretty good job of filling, leveling & polishing the unnecessary holes with ABS paste. I have reworked the snipper knee and it turned out pretty good.

In hindsight, the SDS kit may not have been the best choice but it is pretty cool having Andrew Ainsworth’s autograph inside the helmet & chest plate :-)

Once I figure out how to post photos, I’ll start a build thread to document my progress & post questions.

Cheers, Greg 

Edited by Oldracer
Spelling errors fixed