Restore armor shine with friction

Nairy

Hello! I have painted my shim gap with Humbrol enamel paints and a paint I got custom from a vendor which is oil based.

In this tip thread I have worked the normal ABS plastic surface and a little bit of the painted area, it works for both, although better on the painted area.

I used a trick from the modelling world and used the lightest sanding stick there is (in a packet of modelling sanding sticks) which is really only plastic.

Using this stick to rub against the armor with the softer side (blue) first and then the more plastic side (white) will restore shine to your armor because of the heat that is created by the friction.

The armor before using this method

Jz1mtVz_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

The spot where I used the method 

gWsnFrM_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

A close up of the softer (blue) side

y27sR0R_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

JL4xno4_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

And lastly a close up of the more plastic (white) side

Tskxu0G_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

yh9xcib_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Please let me know if you try this and how it works! Of course this is not a guarantee that it works for you, but depending on how hard and fast you rub the more friction you will create, but make sure that your surface is clean when you rub, and watch out so you don't catch any fragments of dirt och plastic or anything like that since it could scratch into your paint.

Edited by Nairy

Nice work trooper. On some areas I use wet and dry ultrafine sandpaper 2000 grit, this helps to remove any dark scratches and such then use the automotive compound to bring up the shine. With the wet and dry sandpaper I use water with a drop of dish washing liquid, this helps the sandpaper glide a little easier as well as the water makes the sandpaper last a little longer with less clogging.

At the end of the day what ever works and gives you a great end result.

Well done and thanks for sharing

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work trooper. On some areas I use wet and dry ultrafine sandpaper 2000 grit, this helps to remove any dark scratches and such then use the automotive compound to bring up the shine. With the wet and dry sandpaper I use water with a drop of dish washing liquid, this helps the sandpaper glide a little easier as well as the water makes the sandpaper last a little longer with less clogging.

At the end of the day what ever works and gives you a great end result.

Well done and thanks for sharing

Yeah I also use wet sanding with 2000 before using this method with the friction! I'm thinking of using compound too ☺️ But this was just sharing one more alternative to that!

• Like 1