Doomsdale's 3D Printed E-11 Build (from PremierProps)

Doomsdale

Hello! I didn't make any proper introductions in the new members forum. I hope that's okay to just start posting.

I'm very much a newbie with anything costuming or props, and while I was waiting on my BBB day, I ordered a kit to start an E-11. Thought I'd just break through my trepidations with working on it the thing and start with this. That said, I've got a lot of gorilla glue and no idea what I'm doing haha. Anyway into the meat.

---------------------

I ordered a 3D Printed kit from PremierProps. I didn't have many build threads to find on the internet with this kit, so I thought I'd document my trials and tribulations for anyone in the future. Again, I have no idea what I'm doing! So if you see something you want to comment on, please do so and help anyone future PremierProps builders.

Based off what I could gather from others that have worked with 3D Printing, this was my general idea going into it:

Figure out where pieces fit -> Lightly coat with XTC-3D -> Sand -> Glue -> Paint primer -> More sanding -> Final Paint -> Details

--------------------

So here were the pieces out of the box, not too hard to puzzle out with reference images where things fit.

wpcNLDJ.jpg

I used some XTC-3D to lightly coat the pieces making sure not to get any in places where the pieces fit together. This was to fill in the bumpy striations in the print. Great care was taken attempted to not accidently fill in fine details an textures (like the grip or Hengstler counter).

6g7WqSZ.jpg

BZPtkDb.jpg

This had a pretty good outcome overall. There were a few places where I definitely oopsied and got the resin in places it should NOT have been. Probably got too cocky and laid it on too thick.

imighthavegonetoofarinafewplaces-georgelucas.gif

Sanding down helped in those places, but I need to go through with a fine filing and add some detail back in places. 

So anyway, after doing a general sanding, I've started gluing pieces together, using a 5/16 dowel rod as a central guide.

PgRgFNA.jpg

l4SASdj.jpg

hwnAf7B.jpg

I think I'll have to go back with some more XTC-3D to fill in some gaps between the receiver and grip.

That's where I'm at now. I'll keep posting here for posterity.

Edited by Doomsdale
Extra image

Yeah so way back when I was over confident with the XTC-3D I also tried doing both sides of the pistol grip at once and so the side laying down started pooling the resin. It ruined the edges of the grip texture :( Oopsie.

rds468M.jpg

Best I could do was sand it back down to blend in with sides of the grip. Make it look like weathering I guess? 

On a better note, I'm having fun gluing the thing together.

nqsENhd.jpg

Right now I'm just puzzling the best ways to glue and future spray paint. Because I still want to properly coat some smaller pieces.

iUZUy7T.jpg

Things like the front sight I needed to practice place them and then coat with the ole XTC-3D before I glue them. Since I have the chemicals mixed, I used some extra to coat the seams, as seen below.

7s6B2l2.jpg

VMaR16D.jpg

The above gap is pretty spacious. Might have to use wood filler to fill the gap?

Looking onward, I'm getting ready to spray paint it. First with a base coat. I'm waiting to glue on the T-tracks last after spray painting so I can coat the barrel better.

I like to use automotive bondo (filler) for gaps, I also have 3D pen which I use for larger gaps.

Although spray putty does fill a lot of lines I still find you have to give everything a sand before hand. Normally I only need to put on a couple of coats of spray putty, then sand, any small holes or imperfections I use blade putty.

On 9/30/2020 at 10:49 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

I like to use automotive bondo (filler) for gaps, I also have 3D pen which I use for larger gaps.

Although spray putty does fill a lot of lines I still find you have to give everything a sand before hand. Normally I only need to put on a couple of coats of spray putty, then sand, any small holes or imperfections I use blade putty.

That's a good tip. I'm going to pick up some bondo for those tough parts. I think once I fill those gaps, I'll be about ready to spray paint.

------------------

When I went to attach the D-Ring, the holes at the back of the end cap I think the print goofed and left some plastic on the inside of the hole. So I needed to drill out a bit so I could fit the D-Ring in. No sweat!

Good news is, I was able to fit the ring in afterwards!

OrXUizn.jpg

Bad news, it's now as big as a Death Star exhaust port.

lV8CmUK.jpg

I guess when the ring is on, it kinda hides this up? Perhaps this is something bondo could solve when I get my hands on some.

• Like 1

Bately noticeable with the D ring attached, bondo would fill the gap if you wanted to go that far 

I went ham with bondo on all those places that gaps were bothering me.

UU38jGJ.jpg

I like the stuff. Good recommendation gmrhodes13! I got into those cracks, then smoothed it out, waiting for it to harden before going back over with sandpaper.

Spray paint time! First, I've kept several pieces separate at the moment to make it easier to coat (in hindsight, I probably would have left off the grip and scope too so I could paint that separately). I then went over with a single coat of primer.

Epp4v5V.jpg

qEjPwqg.jpg

After drying all afternoon and while running errands, I decided to give the parts a once over before finally spray painting parts black. I could see some bubbles and places the bondo wasn't entirely smooth. So I'm sanding some more. I think in places, I might have to go back to XTC-3D coat because maybe I missed them or it didn't coat well. I know 3D printed guns need some extra work with all the print lines, but I don't know how acceptable of imperfections the CRL is with the gun.

yekc0QB.jpg

A25az5U.jpg

Bondo is great for 3D print filling, dries quickly and easy to sand, just don't add too much hardener, the more you use the more heat is generated 

Spray paint time! I referenced some of the paints mentioned in the sticky'd reference thread. Here was my plan:

Copper: For the first coat on the scope

Matte Black: For the second coat on the scope, and the rest of the body/parts.

Semi-Gloss Black: For the pistol grip.

bB5cOKH.jpg

I was so hasty in seeing the final piece I didn't realize I probably should leave some parts separated to paint. So plastic wraps it was. I did the scope first. Then wrapped off the pistol grip to do the main body of the gun (going back over the scope).

After all that, and a pause for rainstorms, I came back to do the pistol grip in the glossy black.

OxhZPgS.jpg

MPD4x9l.jpg

Now the wait begins! I'm excited to get a good look at it all painted. 

Okay, so after some drying time, here's how it looks.

e2taJYo.jpg

HkgnvFj.jpg

I placed some of the T-tracks on to visualize them in their place.

R6f5KjD.jpg

I seemed to have a few extra. I just now realized I only needed 6 T-tracks, when the kit came with 8. Yay extra! I painted these with the same spray at the body...but I didn't seem to be as even as I thought. Probably will have to spray these again before I glue them in.

tcIsTQD.jpg

The scope feels good. Gonna add some weathering after to reveal some of that copper brass look.

aSgJ2RO.jpg

Need some work here. I missed a small spot on the left on the pistol grip. Seems a little bubbly as well around the bolt. 

I bought some metallic silver Testors to paint the Bolt and Charging Handle (I think this should be silver. I struggled to find good reference photos other than the stickied thread.) 

TXHM4ol.jpg

This is after several coats. It will probably need a few more before it looks decent. Also, will have to fix the splotches I got on the body itself.

UCKq9fX.jpg

Aaah too much weathering haha

I vastly underestimated how thin the black coat was, I think I scraped away back down to the primer. It looked decent to the left. Welp, there are other problem areas over the entire gun. Back to the spray box with me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm excited! I've placed the last pieces finally into the gun, and can see it as it's complete self.

9PHBp5w.jpg

aTWYu4p.jpg

After peeling some painter's tape, I found some bleeding on the silver parts. I'll just have to fill those places in with black later. Pretty easy fix.

AszbMOh.jpg

I also recoated the scope to (hopefully) weather it down to the brass without it being garish. Some of the tape I put on to avoid losing detail created an odd pattern in the face of the scope. It's odd, but of like it? A little rusty looking. Either way, I'm going to try again to use a light grit sand paper and remove edges back down to the brass layer.

tE5QHKX.jpg

After I do these things, I'll do some drybrush weathering to add wear around various places on the gun.

Weathering success! I used some metallic silver (the same as I used before) to drybrush some erosion on it and I'm pretty happy. 

QEiB1aZ.jpg

7bjH3ZR.jpg

Z6GH58J.jpg

This time, I was very conservative with the sanding on the scope. A fine grit, one wipe at a time deal. I got a decent result this time.

Lc7H3ts.jpg

mAEao0N.jpg

I'm pretty happy with this now. Aside from a few small paint touch ups, I'm going to table this for now to start on the actual suit. 

I'll probably come back to it at some point for better details. I'll square away the Hengstler counter, get some coils, and then maybe spiffy up the scope with plastic lenses? It all depends on where I get with my actual suit.

Thanks a lot gmrhodes13, you've been a voice of wisdom along the way!

• Like 1