ROM F/X running on Lithium batteries

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me? I am trying to power my ROM F/X with a set of powerful Lithium batteries for volume and long running times. the only problem is that I have 14.8 volts from the batteries and the F/X runs at a maximum of 12v. So I think I need a voltage regulator. Not being a whiz at electronics I'm a bit stuck. I believe I need to know what Current or amps the board runs at. Does anyone know this or maybe someone has an alternative idea. I know it can be run on 8xAA's but I have the lithium's already and thought it might be a good idea.

Shoot me down if this is a bad idea. mellow.gif

HELP!!!! unsure.gif

Mark.

sskunky said:
Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me? I am trying to power my ROM F/X with a set of powerful Lithium batteries for volume and long running times. the only problem is that I have 14.8 volts from the batteries and the F/X runs at a maximum of 12v. So I think I need a voltage regulator. Not being a whiz at electronics I'm a bit stuck. I believe I need to know what Current or amps the board runs at. Does anyone know this or maybe someone has an alternative idea. I know it can be run on 8xAA's but I have the lithium's already and thought it might be a good idea.

Shoot me down if this is a bad idea. mellow.gif

HELP!!!! unsure.gif

Mark.

Remove one battery and use a three battery holder :)

11.1 volts are enough to power the ROM/FX

TKDUEUNO said:

Remove one battery and use a three battery holder :)

11.1 volts are enough to power the ROM/FX

How silly do I feel I didn't even think of that! I just had four batteries and assumed I was using all of them! :blush:

Thanks for that. Lateral thinking thats what I like to see. :0Lighten:

Thats why I joined this forum for bright sparks like you.

Mark

• 10 months later...

Most electronics wouldn't be that sensitive to a couple extra volts (although maybe the romfx is). If you wanted to use all the batteries but to be on the safe side you can get tiny voltage regulator chips at Radio shack for a couple bucks. They're really small (half inch square) and the hookup is easy but you'd probably want to use a soldering iron. Of course that's the nerd/hard way to do it, if someone can go 14 hours even with one battery removed, then I like that idea! Simpler is better!

At work we have been experimenting a little with Lithium-Polymer batteries. (Our president is a gadget nut). We replaced a battery on an RC airplane with a comparable Lithium-Polymer of the same physical size. It was 40% lighter and ran almost twice as long! I might look into LiPo for my helmet electronics simply for the cool nerd factor.

At work we have been experimenting a little with Lithium-Polymer batteries. (Our president is a gadget nut). We replaced a battery on an RC airplane with a comparable Lithium-Polymer of the same physical size. It was 40% lighter and ran almost twice as long! I might look into LiPo for my helmet electronics simply for the cool nerd factor.

You don't want to do that, VERY DANGEROUS!!!

If not properly charged or defective THEY EXPLODE, so it's a big NONO to use them in your helmet or anywhere on your body.