Display First, Troop Second

G'day everyone.

New to the forums and have just started the process of signing up with my local Garrison in Australia.

So I have decided to finally fulfill a lifelong dream and take the plunge and buy a set of Stormtrooper armor.

I have read a lot of the great info you guys have posted over the years and made contact with a few builders.

Troopermaster and RS Props are the two that stand out, both looking great and and excellent customer service.

However this set of armor that I plan on purchasing is going to be primarily for display purposes, with the chance of trooping a few years down the track if I'm lucky (young family etc)

To have a set shipped to Australia is around $2700-$2900AUD ($1700-$2000USD)

So out of curiosity I checked SDS (que collective groans) and to have a set shipped is almost $1000 cheaper. $1800AUD ($1250USD)

So my question after this hugely long winded post and appreciation for sticking with me this far is...

For armor that will be primarily displayed, do I go the cheaper route with SDS and cross the fix it up bridge if/when I apply to do trooping?

Or do I pay the extra for a better quality set now on the off chance I get to troop one day?

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Cheers

Scott.

Hey Scott and welcome to FISD:salute:

Just asking, is the prices for TM and RS to do the build for you or are the shipping that expensive? It´s not that hard, it really isn´t I promise, to build it yourself. 

23 minutes ago, Sizzle-Conrad- said:

fulfill a lifelong Dream

SDS is cool, in my opinion, based on only one thing, you get armor made were the original suits were pulled (unless they mass-produce somewhere else) But that´s it. Beeing your lifelong dream I can´t stress enough that you should not get the SDS, you will not be happy with it in the long term unless for said reason and I still don´t recommend it:P 

But the most important advise is to do what you want and the things that makes you happy:duim:

22 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Hey Scott and welcome to FISD:salute:

Just asking, is the prices for TM and RS to do the build for you or are the shipping that expensive? It´s not that hard, it really isn´t I promise, to build it yourself. 

SDS is cool, in my opinion, based on only one thing, you get armor made were the original suits were pulled (unless they mass-produce somewhere else) But that´s it. Beeing your lifelong dream I can´t stress enough that you should not get the SDS, you will not be happy with it in the long term unless for said reason and I still don´t recommend it:P 

But the most important advise is to do what you want and the things that makes you happy:duim:

Thanks for the reply Daniel.

The prices I listed are the full build including shipping. I never really considered doing the build myself but I suppose I could look into it a bit more, especially if it saves me money and I get a better quality item.

1 hour ago, Sizzle-Conrad- said:

Thanks for the reply Daniel.

The prices I listed are the full build including shipping. I never really considered doing the build myself but I suppose I could look into it a bit more, especially if it saves me money and I get a better quality item.

Yeah getting a kit from either TM or RS with a holster and strapping kit would be about the same as the cost of the SDS. The blaster would be extra and I’ve heard of Australien customs not liking blasters but Q could answer that better @gmrhodes13:duim: