Yosh's R1 TK Build

yoshix

20180109_135544_1.jpg

Finally got to work on the belt today. I cut 1/8 plywood and glued them in the backs of the boxes so I can screw into it.

20180109_135921.jpg

I predrilled the holes and counter sunk the other side so the screw sits somewhat in the hole. You can see I have a snap in the middle of the belt. I'm debating if I want to do snaps for the sides or velcro. I definitely interested to do snaps for the sides of the back belt.20180109_135907_1.jpg

Apparently I rushed one of the boxes so I had to remake it today. I should have the belt all finished up tomorrow.

20180108_165830_1.jpg

Yesterday I resined the inside to give it some more support. Trying to prevent cracking.

20180109_083203_1.jpg

After sanding and patching.

20180109_084108_1.jpg

Gluing the details on. It occurred to me half way through this project that I could have contacted one of the other armor makers that make shoretroopers and asked to buy the ab only. It would have been easier to cut out that little middle extra top section and add buttons that to cut out all three details and remake them almost from scratch. Oh well

2 hours ago, yoshix said:

20180108_165830_1.jpg

Yesterday I resined the inside to give it some more support. Trying to prevent cracking.

20180109_083203_1.jpg

After sanding and patching.

20180109_084108_1.jpg

Gluing the details on. It occurred to me half way through this project that I could have contacted one of the other armor makers that make shoretroopers and asked to buy the ab only. It would have been easier to cut out that little middle extra top section and add buttons that to cut out all three details and remake them almost from scratch. Oh well

That's actually what I did for my abdomen. I bought a Shoretrooper ab from 850 armor works and did that cutout of the extra middle top section. Works like a charm.

5 hours ago, Parquette said:

That's actually what I did for my abdomen. I bought a Shoretrooper ab from 850 armor works and did that cutout of the extra middle top section. Works like a charm.

hey bro Reese... do you have a closeup shot of your abdomen? 

8 hours ago, Parquette said:

3 hours ago, darthcue said:

hey bro Reese... do you have a closeup shot of your abdomen? 

I would like to see that as well. 

Fo35_WMH_1.jpg

You can see how the tabs on the belt have a slight angle to them. 

20180110_111251.jpg

I tried to recreate that by sanding mine down. But only to the plastic I added. 

20180110_165020_1.jpg

Belt is done! The elastic is pushing the box on the far left a little bit to far out. Maybe when I get some more time I'll fix it, but it's fine for now

Edited by yoshix
  • Like 1

If you cut a little slit through the top of the belt drop boxes and slip the elastic through there, perhaps cut an entire section out of the back of the drop boxes and attach the elastic there, it'll reduce the drop boxes sticking out. 

Edited by Parquette

21 hours ago, Parquette said:

If you cut a little slit through the top of the belt drop boxes and slip the elastic through there, perhaps cut an entire section out of the back of the drop boxes and attach the elastic there, it'll reduce the drop boxes sticking out. 

I wish I had thought of that

21 hours ago, Parquette said:

Don't forget also to cut out the abdomen box square next to the windows, and put a screen plastic material behind it. Think of calculators xD

I'm not quite sure what you mean 

20180110_180749.jpg

Great news! The 3d printed parts for my pack are in! 

20180111_123452.jpg

Because the backpack is supposed to be strapless I'll need to support the weight. 

20180111_170535_1.jpg

I attached suspenders to the snaps underneath and that will hook onto the ab. Hopefully that will prevent the back from sliding down and pushing the chest up, choking me. 

• Like 2

20180105_140347_1.jpg

I found these washers for the buttons. I wish the inside was a little wider but they will do.

20180111_170555_1.jpg

So this is a lot of work you are looking to here. I hope it all turns out looking like I would like in the end. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, darthcue said:

How did you connect the shoulder bridges to the chest armor? Screws also like the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgotto take a picture of it. I glued plastic strips to the sholder straps and put velcro on the ends. Works well, I'm happy with it. 

20171227_144739_1.jpg

You can see what I cut away at the bottom. 

20180109_093949_1.jpg

I cut plastic strips to recreate that bottom 

20180109_100320.jpg

Glued

20180110_165127_1.jpg

20180112_113213_1.jpg

Bondo in the gap and some sanding. 

E-6000, I'm on my 5th tube of E-600. A few time I've had to stop and go back to the store to pick up more. For some reason Home Depot and Lowe's stopped selling it. I can put together an Anovos kit with one tube. I'll have to go back to the store for more when I start working on the backpack again.

• Like 1

Also, the tube stripes in the helmet. The blue in it is a seperate piece attached on the underside. In the interview with the designer, he stated that they were made to be functional vents. Do you have any ideas on how to make functional vents in your helmet? I hollowed out mine and put blue painted plastic underneath, but I'd like it to provide more air. 

10 hours ago, yoshix said:

20171227_144739_1.jpg

You can see what I cut away at the bottom. 

20180109_093949_1.jpg

I cut plastic strips to recreate that bottom 

20180109_100320.jpg

Glued

20180110_165127_1.jpg

20180112_113213_1.jpg

Bondo in the gap and some sanding. 

E-6000, I'm on my 5th tube of E-600. A few time I've had to stop and go back to the store to pick up more. For some reason Home Depot and Lowe's stopped selling it. I can put together an Anovos kit with one tube. I'll have to go back to the store for more when I start working on the backpack again.

Also it'd be best to put resin on the inside of the bottom trim. That way, if any armor interacts with it, it doesn't accidentall pull it off the thigh. 

8 minutes ago, Parquette said:

Also it'd be best to put resin on the inside of the bottom trim. That way, if any armor interacts with it, it doesn't accidentall pull it off the thigh. 

Haha, you sir are absolutely on top of it! I did resin the bottom, I just haven't taken pictures yet. I was going to wait till I sanded it. I was worried that the bondo would crack if I hit something. 

18 minutes ago, Parquette said:

Do you have any ideas on how to make functional vents in your helmet? I hollowed out mine and put blue painted plastic underneath, but I'd like it to provide more air. 

I used fabric that hopefully looks enough like the screen used helmets. That way they still let air in. 

IMG_20180113_202933.jpg

The CRL says this about the belt

• It is entirely made of plastic in two pieces, with the halves joining directly in the middle of the wearer's side waist. The rear half overlaps the front half's ends.

But as you can see in the photos I have found a few examples of the front overlapping the back.

I've decided not to fight this and do it the way the CRL wants

Also you can see in the one photo it looks like a fabric belt is underneath 

Also also, the bottom left photo is a bad example 

Edited by yoshix

20180111_161353_1.jpg

I cut to that line.

20180111_170449_1.jpg

For some reason I was really nervous figuring out how I wanted to attach the back belt. I'd love to see how others have done theres. For the front belt I have a snap in the middle front and velcro on the sides. For the back belt I did the opposite, snaps on the sides (hopefully will hold it in) and velcro in the middle. 

Edited by yoshix
  • Like 1

20180114_092703_1.jpg

Resinnd

20180114_095127_1.jpg

Sanded

20180114_111108_1.jpg

Primed

20180114_092806_1.jpg

The thighs are just too flimsy for me, so I decided to go ahead and resin the insides aswell.

20180114_114528_1.jpg

I thought this thing was going to be the easy part of my day, but it turned out to be a pain. I finally got it in the position I want. The tape should hold it up at the right hight till it drys tomorrow. After I paint the thighs tomorrow the armor is done, then it's on to finishing up the backpack 

Edited by yoshix

20180114_104557_1.jpg

I forgot to mention that I decided to glue down the kidney plate. That way it always sits flush on the one side. 

20180114_104620_1.jpg

I put a snap on the bottom of the opposite side to close it.