Need some advice on my first order helmet

Payola

So I bought this helmet online for $120 and love the bucket, but there are a lot of painting problems and little things that just arent up to the standard i hoped for. You guys think it would be better to just repaint it myself and fix the visor or return it and find something better for the price?

image.thumb.jpeg.f06c3ff2ff5a5cafc4bf1c1c8b55b121.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.61745a9ef72c3488ec172b72dabc690f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a8c383f9b3f906200798238ae46120b1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.29386ed3a7ca7add38c9f4621fa97626.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.63b98351cbbceabbf5737e13ce393947.jpeg

It’s a fairly straightforward repaint if you have the time and interest. What’s more you can colour match the bucket to your kit...unless you’re not expecting to paint your kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Masking the areas will be the most work, it is time consuming but can be really rewarding once you see the finished product. Good luck.

29 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Masking the areas will be the most work, it is time consuming but can be really rewarding once you see the finished product. Good luck.

I'm super new to this, but i really would prefer to do it as a little project and have it how i want.

Do you have any advice about painting it? Do i need to sand off the paint thats on there now first? Just any and all advice would really help me.

2 hours ago, Payola said:

I'm super new to this, but i really would prefer to do it as a little project and have it how i want.

Do you have any advice about painting it? Do i need to sand off the paint thats on there now first? Just any and all advice would really help me.

It really depends on the depth of the paint and what paint is used, a lot of enamel paints can be quite soft and are hard to sand. It would be best to lightly sand as it gives the new paint something to stick too as well, I would go over and sand it wet with soapy water (makes sandpaper last longer) with a wet and dry 400 grit sandpaper. Once dry you could go over with a primer, just to make sure the paint doesn't react to what you are going to use as well as to show if there are still any blemishes appearing before applying top coats.

There are a few different masking tapes available, definitely use one for painting, don't use a normal house hold tape as it can let bleed through. Also for the corners you could use an automotive masking tape, it's more plastic and can be stretched and curved while standard painters tape can't. I have also just cut painter tape into curved pieces to go around some pieces, what ever works for you.

Don't go heavy with your first coat of paint as it can build up and bleed under the tape, if this does happens once you remove the tape you could use a tooth pick to rub this off.

Good luck, hope you have a win.