Paint or textured Latex hand guards?

Mr V

So i thought i would like to try to make my hand guards. I already have most of the materials so might as well try it.

What i would like to know is... the CRL states;

Hand guards shall be latex or latex-like, painted white, affixed to rubber gloves in lieu of plastic hand guards

So... can i do a brush stroke finish on the clay and cast in white latex? This finish will still make it look like it is painted white. Thoughts?

This is a start on the clay masters. I will fine tune them later.

36078012434_46493c3f1a_z.jpgTK handplates

I have both smooth and rough latex hand guards so really depends what look you want to go for, I do prefer my rough looking ones, more screen accurate.

I also played with some finishes in the past, screen printing paint, brushed onto raw latex gloves, then it is heat sealed in a moderate oven, came out pretty well.

You can certainly add the brush strokes, which will show up in the final product, but I suggest painting them afterward though with actual exterior latex house paint.  The reason being is that (depending on the manufacturer) natural latex (even white) can turn orange after extended UV (sun) exposure.

If I could make a few suggestions, I would beef up the area in red (below) a bit, and thin out the area in blue. 

When creating your clay originals keep in mind that the latex will shrink when drying.  The edges will pull away from the mold, but don't try to fill those gaps.  The center will also shrink quite a bit, but you can fill that with extra liquid latex (but just to the edge).

I have been through this process many times, so if I can be of any help just PM me

22 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I have both smooth and rough latex hand guards so really depends what look you want to go for, I do prefer my rough looking ones, more screen accurate.

I also played with some finishes in the past, screen printing paint, brushed onto raw latex gloves, then it is heat sealed in a moderate oven, came out pretty well.

Wow, many experiments there! Divorce for me it i put anything in the oven that wasnt food!!