Fill in the Ear Gap or not?

So I'm following the great tutorial by Luis on modding the MR CE and I have a question of preference.

Who thinks I should leave the gap, as Luis did, on the ears, and who thinks I should fill it in?

I'm thinking of filling it in, and here's my thought process on why...

Even with all the mods the bucket is an idealized bucket. It's symmetrical, it's perfectly shaped, doesn't have any bumps or warping to it. It's pretty much the "ideal" bucket. So, I'm thinking of just finishing it out that way as "idealized".

Also, before I knew anything that I know now I thought that gap between the ears and the helmet was a mistake that people had because they hadn't taken the time to fill it in. Of course I know better now, but 90% of the people we "meet" while trooping probably don't know better.

I suppose it obviously comes down to what it all comes down to. Do I want it to be as "canon" / "screen accurate" as possible, or do I want it to be what I want it to be?

Of course I have to ask if the ears are filled in would it still meat elite standards... as that's something I want to get one day soon... but right now I'm just wondering preference.

Are there those of you who like them filled, and if so why, and if not why not?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I understand your view completely on the idealized MR helmet. With that said, personally I would leave the gap to not only stay cannon, but also I'm so used to seeing a gap on a trooper helmet that to fill it in would make it look a bit off IMO.

Good points so far... yes, that's what I'm thinking Steve... if I want canon / screen accurate, then get a bucket that is just that, with the bumps and warps and all. This isn't, so why try and make it more so?

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I filled the gaps. Looks cleaner to me, and I knew going in it wasn't screen accurate. I made the changes to it because I felt it looked a little odd with such large ears, but at the same time I knew I wanted a stylized bucket. Something that looked nice, and the average person isn't going to know.

Like Steve mentioned, if you want canon, get TE2 or AP.

2 cents.

DD.

Well, sounds like everyone is agreeing with me so far (for the most part).

I have 8¢ total now.

Come on... I'm sure I can get a dollar's worth out of this!

Or at LEAST 25¢

• 3 weeks later...
Well, here's my .02¢ (up to .10¢ now ;) )

I'm at the point of my MR mod to fit the ears and I'm going with the screen look.

BTW your tutorial on your website has been very helpful, too! :D

Thanks... I'm going to put more on tomorrow. :)

I filled the ears btw... but I also did something "unexpected" with them... stay tuned!