A couple pre-build thread questions

A.J. Hamler

Hi guys...

I'm starting my ANH AM 2.0 build tomorrow, and will start a build thread at the same time.  I've been reading builds for a couple weeks now and I think I'm ready to go, but have a couple basic questions before I start that I can't seem to find the answers to...

1) The first is, where should I start my build thread?  There are a number of build threads right here in the "ANH (Stunt and Hero)" main part of this forum, and there are lots in the "ANH Build Threads" sub-forum to this one.  So, which one is the preferred place to start my build thread?

2) Snap plates -- I see snap plates made with rectangles of ABS, and snap plates made with webbing.  Is one method better than another?  

3) For those who like the webbing snap plates, why does black seem to be the preferred color?  I can see that for straps and anything that would be visible to match the undersuit, but I don't think I've seen anyone use white webbing for snap plates in any of the builds I've read, and I'm curious as to why.

4) Not everyone does it, but I see a lot of helmets that are Plasti-dipped black on the inside.  What's the reason for doing this?

5)  I haven't ordered my belt yet since I'm not quite at the point to take a measurement over the armor (although I will be soon), but I see that belts come in white and off-white.  Which is the better choice, or does it really matter?

That's it!  Can't wait to get started.

Thanks in advance.

A.J.

You are in the perfect section for that, A.J.  Here are my opinions on your other questions.

2.  I did ABS plates on my first TK, (AM 2.0) but found that a few of them popped off.  I changed them all out for nylon webbing on that and my other armor, as I found it conforms to the curves better.  Just be SURE to use E-6000.  Trust me on this.

3. There is no particular reason for using black, it's just the most available, I think.  The color will  not really matter for approval on any level.

4.  Plasti-DIp is used by many Troopers, (including myself) for various reasons.  The black color makes it harder to see up inside the bucket, and helps camouflage the components (fans, etc.) which are normally black themselves.  It also adds a little "heft" to your helmet, which a lot of us like.

5.  There are 2 schools of thought on this...  The bright white matches the armor better, but the off white doesn't show marks as much.  Whichever one you choose, I would seriously think about hitting it with a few coats of Scotchgard protectant to make it easier to keep clean.

Best of luck on your build, and don't forget to check out the "Advanced Tactics" sections, as hopefully you will be aiming for EIB and Centurion!  If we can be of any more help, just ask!