Rey's NN-14 blaster pistol child size from scratch

artimorty

Hello there.<br>

Curro here. I'm sharing with you all my Rey's blaster pistol built. This is my first built from scratch ever, and also the first time I'm sharing here anything with you guys... really nervous about that, so many experienced eyes around...<br>

First things first. This is a project to complete my 6 years old daughter Rey's costume. Couldn't find any small nn-14 blaster around and I said "what the h..."<br>

So, having no knowledge or expierence in pepakura or modeling or 3D printing, I decided to go the old and hard way and try to build it from scratch.<br>

Got inspired by Bill Doran's Malcom Raynolds' gun

Ithought I could go the Sintra way. Up to that point, I had never heard of pvc foam or sintra in my entire life.<br>

I used bill's himself NN-14 free templates for reference (http://punishedprops.com/reys-blaster/).I only scaled them down to 70% to accommodate my daughter's hand properly. <br>

There we go

Here I just glued together five flat pieces of sintra to get the desired shape and width according to the templates. I also stick glued the templates over the sides of the main body that were previously covered with masking tape.

post-22036-0-49063300-1485657474_thumb.png

Edited by artimorty

After that, I added some epoxy putty called "blue soft" aviable here in Spain, something like bondo stuff I guess, and then sanded the main edges into rounded shape.<br><br><br>

I also started the rought carving of the main indents

post-22036-0-90014900-1485657982_thumb.png

Edited by artimorty

After that I went for the barrel, made from a wooden bar. Free hand carved two lines near to the end, added two Allen screws, made the barrel tip out of a small sintra piece to match the references, drilled holes with a dremel on both sides of the barrel and finally made the connecting piece to the main body from a smaller wood bar I had laying around. Sorry, several pics lost on the old iPhone before I could save them and only have this one to share

Edited by artimorty

Sorry guys. I don't know why but I'm having a really hard time uploading my few pictures from my photobucket... none of the links seem to work. And when I try to upload them directly from the phone's memory, an error message sais that the archive is too heavy no matter how small I reduce them. Time to go around the "how to" section to see if I can solve this out.<br>

Will get back to you as soon as I figure this out.<br>

Thanks an apologies for my newby issues.

Then I tried to find he correct screws to go on with the build, but life gets complicated once you start to play with the scale of things. I couldn't find screws so strange at the scale I needed nowhere around my town. But strangely enough, I happened to have one screwdriver the right shape and size... that got me thinking.

Used a food stick with a cilinder of tamiya putty on the top, when it was still fresh, I pressed on top of it the screwdriver covered in vaseline

d235f41f4e8ddc7e4c7760d94c280018.jpg

After I gave it some form, I built a mold of plasteline clay, spread the surface with more vaseline and made a lot of impressions of my home made screw

35cc530398ec8e9d4da57e70cb2ab106.jpg

ae22894fbc7ea08698dfe8e0ed5f2ce5.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Edited by artimorty

I went a little crazy and poured over there some smoothcast 300 liquid plastic I had left from a previous project. Didn't know how it would react over plasteline...

8738f0c830c589ed737754e94df27b26.jpg

Edited by artimorty

After try an error figuring out how to release from the plastic my screws to give them all the same diameter, I finally went on with a variation on the "hollow bronze tube" and made myself a tool with a short tube on an old handle that can come apart at my will (pliers and some nice blasphemy involved)

72e762f9098b2afae17aba523344efd7.jpg

On the upper left background of the picture, you can notice that I'm almost done with the main body, carving all lines using a box opener and widening the desired lines with some small files. It has also been sanded, filled with tamiya sanding putty where needed, sanded again and on and on...

Edited by artimorty

I've also done the hammer piece of the gun. With two of the foretold fake screws, some plastic tubing I had laying around and sintra scratches covered with masking tape and glued over with the template pieces

b3abb16f0f774c7273b15204d55cb7ab.jpg

8def50f7d30bcb63d34eed00b8cbbc44.jpg

Edited by artimorty

What I've left to do now is sand down the fake screws to make them all the same height, glue all the pieces together, and start to think how to paint it (the most frightening part of this project to me)...

ahhhh, I almost forgot! I have to do also the hand guard of the gun, and haven't decided yet if I'm going to do them form wood or sintra. Any advice?

Wow, Curro, GREAT job so far!  The creativity of people here never ceases to amaze me.  Looking forward to seeing it complete!!   :popcorn:

Thanks Joseph, I'm also eager to move to the next step. Having a great time with this build with my little girl messing around every afternoon. Little girls know how to motivate you by driving you nuts...

I grew up with 3 little sisters, so I completely understand.. never a dull moment.

• Like 1

Little update.

Yesterday I finished the fake screws. They went out ok. Some of them have the Star a little blurred, but those are going to be hidden behind the barrel and the other front piece.

01b42a0c8dfc17f9c9ccf0dc41613f5f.jpg

Edited by artimorty

Ok. This weekend I managed to get some spare time to invest in this project. I didn't know how to make the hand guards for the gun handle, and finally made up my mind and went for wood ones, thought I've never done anything even similar. Made a bunch of them from different wood tipes and thicknesses and started testing wich one was easier to work with.

544c07d7058c2fd4b104a06c90cee062.jpg

Finally the two on the right side of the pic were selected as base for my pieces.

Edited by artimorty

And that's where I had to left it. Now thinking about how to get the eleven indented parallel lines in such a tiny space as this and that would do for the building phase. Meantime, going in and out with sanding and modding little things on the main body.

Any advice or help in getting the carving of the handles done would be more than welcome. At this time thinking in drawing them with a ruler using the templates and carve them with a hobby saw... don't know. More tests to come, I guess.

Thanks.

Today's little progress. I've marked the guidelines for the cuts on the wood handle parts. First I laid the pieces over copies of their respective templates, one of them was previously mirrored using a scanner and photoshop to match the right side of the handle. Then, slightly slide the wood part over the paper copy using the straight line of the upper part as a guide to show the position of the marks.

35bc3dfceff14ed638d1b3b335b9a53e.jpg

Marked both sides of each handle with this method...

Edited by artimorty

Once this is done and doble checked, carefully joined the marks on both sides using a stripe of a "for sale" plastic sign as a flexible ruler. It worked well.

355eae78ea2597ab96757c271413c5e3.jpg

Next time I can, will start testing saws, wood files and different techniques on the discarded handles I left aside to see wich one suits better for the job.

Thanks.

Edited by artimorty