marriott211's ATA helmet build

Hotel

I just received my ATA helmet kit tonight. I can't wait to get started! But, first...  the little brown box...

Ybd6Of8.jpg

And the contents...

nw9H1pY.jpg

I plan to add some electronics, likely ukswrath's hearing assist kit. May even go whole hog and through in an iComm. Probably easier to do that while I build, then fit it later. Or should I build it first?

I didn't think I'd be so intimidated by a box of plastic, having built scale models and slot cars all my life.
Edited by Hotel
update photo links

Did some work on opening up the teeth last night. A few of the locals I converse with all suggest a little bit more, so tonight I'll be back at it again. Small files seem to work the best.

se4WDwu.jpg

B5jfFii.jpg

Looking at this last one, I can definitely see it. The smallest opening is definitely too round. Guess I need to put some magnifiers while I work.

CM9oz8A.jpg

Edited by Hotel
update photo links

Something just doesn't quite feel right. The opening at the bottom feels squished. If I adjust the face, the sides open up. It looks like I need to trim more off the bottom of the cap and back, but I'm not sure. Is that little corner that flips out supposed to be there?

3MYnxOL.jpg

Edited by Hotel
update photo links

• 4 weeks later...

Finally made some progress this weekend. I managed to get the right ear on, but now I'm not sure it's right. Is this OK, or do I need to start over?

x2fnFEg.jpg

Edited by Hotel
update photo links

Looks about right... The ears are always the most difficult part of the bucket build. Coming along though. Im glad you fixed the teeth lol.

As far as the ear go, they all pretty much have some gaps, just do the best you can.

Look at some on-screen used ones and you will feel much better.

On 10/25/2016 at 11:28 AM, illusionz_09 said:

Looks about right... The ears are always the most difficult part of the bucket build. Coming along though. Im glad you fixed the teeth lol.

As far as the ear go, they all pretty much have some gaps, just do the best you can.

Look at some on-screen used ones and you will feel much better.

Fixing the teeth made a big difference. Glad I did it too.

sLWO13r.jpg

Now, here's where I stand with the left ear. No way can I make this work...

NX8AUOD.jpg1Xg69bs.jpg

Edited by Hotel
update photo links

you can probably salvage that. Sand down just the ear portion to make it thinner. This will bring it in a lot better. Plus, it is currently too fat anyway.

Don't touch the curvature portion, just the flat ear part.

you can probably salvage that. Sand down just the ear portion to make it thinner. This will bring it in a lot better. Plus, it is currently too fat anyway.

Don't touch the curvature portion, just the flat ear part.

You're referring to the round, top part? That should be thinner?

Can you drop the left ear a little? I seem to remember having to do this myself when I built mine last year. The ears will be at different angles as they're slightly differently shaped. If you can drop it enough to get the bottom under the edge of the tube, how much gap do you have above it to the brow strip?

You could also thin the inside bottom edge of the ear where it goes under the tube so it doesn't have to drop as much.

If you check out photos of screen used helmets such as http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-ANH-Stunt-Stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm you can see that on most while the right ear just about touches the brow strip the left ear has a gap.

Dan

Edited by AgeOfStrife

Looking good. Remember that if you are going to sand further, then focus on sanding the areas down which are already touching the lid. This will reduce the gaps you have and pull the ears in .for a tighter fit. Gaps are good, screen accurate!

Marc

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Should probably get back to this one...but I've been building a TIE while I wait for the rest of the TK armor to arrive...

6Ljlc8l.jpg

Edited by Hotel
update photo links

TK is greater than TIE. (Especially on these boards lmfao)<br><br>

Let's see some progress!

Yeah, but I got the TIE for a steal... and I don't have the TK armor yet (it's been about 9 months of waiting now). Soon....very soon.... I hope.

• Like 1

A little Father's Day Progress. Spent a few minutes, or more, in the garage tonight. Cleaning up a bit and decided to get the bucket back on the bench. I will be touching up the vocoder, as I am NOT happy with it. The rest, well...I can live with it.

gE1X1cR.jpg

Edited by Hotel
update photo links

Looking Good Jim... Your black outlines do look to be on the thick side though. Have a look at the reference pics. Thin them out and you'll be in good shape.

• Like 1

Looking Good Jim... Your black outlines do look to be on the thick side though. Have a look at the reference pics. Thin them out and you'll be in good shape.

Thanks for the tip. I'll go back and clean them. The gray is covering better than I expected. I'll just need a smaller brush.

Thinned down the black lines a bit, but I think a little more is necessary. Also need to clean up the edges. Shouldn't have done this right after drinking coffee.  

65uQGRC.jpgyUL3sUD.jpgRt5uo0C.jpg

Edited by Hotel
  • Like 1