TK-Tom's Not So Excellent Adventure - ANH Stunt TK Build

TK-Tom

I worked on fitting the shins to my calves, the Left calve armor was the really big one, the Right calve armor seemed to be just right for my calve. Was following UKSWrath build tutorial, (The Build Bible), and I did not see where he did any measurements with the ankle part wrapped around the boot. Its one thing to fit it to your bare leg, but if it doesn't fit around the boot, your in trouble. So I fit the armor around the boot (mine are size 13) so the ankle area needed to be bigger than I like but it will fit with my foot in the boot. I glued the front cover strips on both halves of each shin at the same time, so I will only have to do the rear cover strip on the one halve of each the next night and be ready to put on velcro. I was going to do the bra clip method, I'm not sure. I have the materials, I should do that. Decisions, decisions.

Any way, after these are done, I should be ready for a first full fitting, then some tweaks I'm sure, then just work on the helmet. So here are my shin pics...

tbSgpi7.jpg

Xt0bfA6.jpg

bcy2MzZ.jpg

t1q6JBW.jpg

PvQYJBe.jpg

Looks great  :jc_doublethumbup: , if I had one suggestion it would be to trim back the top cover strip on the thigh, just below the return edge, besides for accuracy it will help prevent them from digging into your groin.

gallery_12157_15_34529.jpggallery_12157_15_41437.jpg

I will have to take a look at the other side, I think it is flush with the return edge top on the other side. If not, I will trim down cover strip. Thx~

Question on the Sniper Plate, one side has a longer edge than the other, do I trim those to match?

yQ2eVsj.jpg

Edited by TK-Tom

The left side you can leave alone, the right side you may have to trim a bit or it will extend past the corner on the shin itself, which again you run the risk of snagging it on something. 

• Like 1

So I had to reglue my Left shin front cover strip, just the top 25% so I added a couple reinforcements inside also. I also experienced my first goof. I put glue on the ENTIRE Right shin rear cover strip, when I should have only put glue on the Right shin rear half that gets the cover strip. I did not put the cover strip on the Right shin, I just cleaned it off best I could, will let dry overnight, then really clean it up to new,  and do it right tomorrow night. I should be able to do the Left rear as well. What a doh! moment.

This is very good to know.  I'm terrified of handing some kid my blaster and it coming back in a dozen pieces.  What was the price tag like on that if I might ask?

$300.00 for the Elite version shipped, which is what I got.

$160.00 for the B Grade, which is pretty good too, from what I hear.

Finally, $240.00 for the Regular E-11

• Like 2

This is very good to know.  I'm terrified of handing some kid my blaster and it coming back in a dozen pieces.  What was the price tag like on that if I might ask?

I did have a kit to build an E-11 but after building my TK, I am tired of building. Besides, the kit E-11 that I sold today, is 3D printed and is something I would never hand to a kid at a troop. But it was very nice and had a sound and lights kit with it.

Just catching up on your build thread, Tom, I didn't realize you had one. Looks like you're doing well!

As to the frown, I do not believe it's technically "required" for EIB (pretty sure I've seen an EIB application or two approved without that being done), but it's easier than I thought it would be (and I'm not all that good with a paintbrush)

Removing and repainting the frown, while scary, really does add something to the overall look, and it's not nearly as bad you think. Just spend an evening in front of the TV with rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball to strip off the old paint, and get a nice thin brush (real hair) to repaint the frown. Pics in my build thread, or Gazmosis has the ultimate rebuild thread if you want to look at his frown paint job as a reference (that's how I did it!).

• Like 1

Just catching up on your build thread, Tom, I didn't realize you had one. Looks like you're doing well!

As to the frown, I do not believe it's technically "required" for EIB (pretty sure I've seen an EIB application or two approved without that being done), but it's easier than I thought it would be (and I'm not all that good with a paintbrush)

Removing and repainting the frown, while scary, really does add something to the overall look, and it's not nearly as bad you think. Just spend an evening in front of the TV with rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball to strip off the old paint, and get a nice thin brush (real hair) to repaint the frown. Pics in my build thread, or Gazmosis has the ultimate rebuild thread if you want to look at his frown paint job as a reference (that's how I did it!).

Yep, I figured it would be part of the "gig" to do a build thread.

I suck with a paintbrush, that's why I am hesitant. And if I remove the overspray on the teeth, I'm sure I would remove too much, and cause me to repaint the teeth. Again, I am NOT a good painter at all.

I will look into it though. Thx KMan!

• Like 1

UKSWrath, for EIB do I need to paint the tiny corners of the frown?

We're highly suggesting it at L2. At L3, though not mentioned in the CRL we're pretty much requiring it. BTW it doesn't have to be perfect. 

• Like 1

Yep, I figured it would be part of the "gig" to do a build thread.

I suck with a paintbrush, that's why I am hesitant. And if I remove the overspray on the teeth, I'm sure I would remove too much, and cause me to repaint the teeth. Again, I am NOT a good painter at all.

I will look into it though. Thx KMan!

Don't try to remove "just" the overspray, just take it all off. (or the majority, at least) Then repaint the whole thing. It's pretty easy painting. Just be very careful to paint a thin straight line along the top and bottom edge of each tooth, as your border, and then it's simple to paint in the rest of the tooth.

Don't try to remove "just" the overspray, just take it all off. (or the majority, at least) Then repaint the whole thing. It's pretty easy painting. Just be very careful to paint a thin straight line along the top and bottom edge of each tooth, as your border, and then it's simple to paint in the rest of the tooth.

Is they grey paint, the same that is used for the AB Buttons?

• Like 1

Ok, so as I am nearing the finish line, I got myself into a little bit of a rush and committed my first foul. For the shins, I did NOT bring the front cover strips all the way to the top of both shins. I stopped them both just below the upper ridge line. Wonderful~ Now what? I doubt I can get replacement cover strips from Anovos, so I asked around on the Anoves TK Build page and KMan gave me a solution, but it involves ABS paste, something I did NOT want to get involved with. But it looks like I am headed that way, at least for the Right Shin. The Sniper Plate will be covering up the Left Shin, so I should be ok there. First, the pics of my blunder, then my solution steps to take...

Here is the Right Shin...

SQKmSqA.jpg

And here is the Left Shin...

g2ww3U1.jpg

Not my proposed solution, with the help of KMan...

Left Shin: Just take the remaining cut piece of the original front cover strip, measure out a length to take me from the top of the in-place cover strip to the top of the shin. I would not have to add this because, again, it will be covered by the sniper plate, but adding this will give the sniper plate more surface area to glue to. Easy~

Right Shin: lift up a couple inches of the glued on cover strip, cut off the cut cornered part to make it straight again. Use the remaining cut piece of the original cover strip material, and leave just a little gap between the two pieces, and take the added cover strip piece up to the top of the shin. Glue those two down. When dried, fill in the gap with my ABS paste and let fully dry. Sand to make sure flush with cover strip, then polish the heck out of it with Novus 123. Now I realize the Right Thigh Ammo belt on the knee could cover this for the most part, most of the time, and I could most likely get Basic Approval, but I don't need it being a problem when I submit for 501st EIB - which is my goal with this kit.

Thoughts, suggestions? TIA!