SkaTay's TK Build Attempt

Hello fellow Troopers!  A friend of mine gave me an ABS Stormtrooper costume which he had displayed on a mannequin next to a sunny window.  Long story short, it's got some serious yellowing on areas of the armor.  It's ultimate destiny might be a Sandtrooper to cover up the yellowing but I wanted the professional opinions of the FISD.

The costume needs some major love and I'm wondering if it's even 501st worthy.  I stripped off all the old Velcro and cleaned up the gooey stuff it left behind.  I'm not sure of the maker as there is no mention in the instruction book...although others have mentioned it's an old FX suit.  Anyone know?

Here are some other concerns:

1.  The belt is solid ABS (no canvas) and permanently attached to the 'abdominal plate' by screws.  What say the TK's to this setup?  Can it be modified and put on canvas?  (see the first few pics AND very last pic which is a scan from the manual)

2.  Can I sand off the yellow discoloration?  (see pic #7)

3.  Are the buttons on the ab plate correct?

4.  Helmet....get a new one?  (see last few pics) My kids would love to play with this one but it doesn't have a liner inside.  Where can I get a hard hat liner or padding?

5.  Kidney and butt plate are one piece.  Is that OK? (see pic #5)

6.  Calf and thigh armor corners don't line up properly.  File it down?  (see pic 6-8)

WOW!  That was a lot.  I'm well versed in the ways of the TIE Pilot but lacking in TK builds.  What say the pros to my inherited armor?

-Scott

TI-93110

Edited by SkaTay
  • Like 1

This type of kit is no longer approvable, but was grandfathered in so that existing owners of the armor could still be active in the 501st. If you're up for the challenge of making some big modifications and a new bucket i say go for it! Otherwise yeah, as mark said, might just be better to call it an antique and get an approvable kit