DadintheFog's ANH Stunt build (Anovos) - First Timer

• 3 weeks later...

Finally feel like I'm making progress! Did a trial fitting today for the body pieces. Definitely need to do some more trimming, but pretty happy overall.

I actually might finished this by summer!

c60a86f1229cdcff33f398d2faebb529.jpg

bc30aa876624bd7490fccdd5fd27d7b9.jpgfa691b778b309de3c063eb05fa420f4d.jpg8d7f176b28be88a5cf11b42c80aa75d5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to get any additional pictures lately, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I bought a new belt from Kittell (and was amazed at how quickly he responded).  I purchased the Mr.NoStripes bracket and will be installing these this weekend.  I already have my TKBoots!  The thighs were a killer, but I finally am pretty happy with the assembly - although it took my 4 times of gluing before I was happy with the alignment on one side.  (Thank god I'm using E6000!)

The shins continue to vex me -- but I think I've decided to take the plunge and go with ukswrath's suggested assembly (rather than the Anovos).  They don't look right to me in either form ... but ukswrath's guidance has not steered me wrong yet.

Anovos has finally sent me shipping notification for the gloves and compression suit - exactly 51 weeks after ordering/payment.

If all goes well, a couple more weeks of work and I might be able to submit for 501st approval!  

• Like 2

I spent most of the day drilling and installing my brackets. Made some good headway. I also managed to do some trim work on the legs.

I don't think I can comfortably trim the calms down much more. But not unsure if they look too chunky. (I guess that's just the curse of running too much - I have huge calfs.)

c33508dd792ea6952d43449a4eae6230.jpg

8199ccbcd7876c8d1a700480611e1c6d.jpg

e4423ed5a25ac5438a9ffdb7293e4d95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Today I managed you finish installing the brackets. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, but I am a little worried about the sizing of the chest. I'm doing another fitting this weekend and will decide then.

55a196bad1c31c0c5a6b6c69c650d09c.jpg

I also got all the snaps in place. Turned out well aside from the two crotch snaps are a little close together. I ended up using the Anovos supplied snaps as they were a little smaller than the Tandy, but they still look a little close together for me. I followed Ukswrath's sizing - or so i thought. I Amy come back later and patch the holes and try it again. I'll cross that bridge later.

b9a6acceb121d7dcfee2a7aed85e53be.jpg

c4b63d5ce55d4db91aee90ec753a6f24.jpg

I'm trying to get a basic build complete so I can apply for 501st membership before the end of April. A couple more good days and I think I'll be there!

• Like 2

I also got all the snaps in place. Turned out well aside from the two crotch snaps are a little close together. I ended up using the Anovos supplied snaps as they were a little smaller than the Tandy, but they still look a little close together for me. I followed Ukswrath's sizing - or so i thought. I Amy come back later and patch the holes and try it again. I'll cross that bridge later.

b9a6acceb121d7dcfee2a7aed85e53be.jpg

c4b63d5ce55d4db91aee90ec753a6f24.jpg

I followed Ukswrath's measurements, too, and had the same thing happen as you. I think something might be slightly off with his measurements, or he's using smaller snaps.

Fortunately, I noticed before I actually crimped them on, so I decided to move the snap closest to the front forward a bit. Just forward enough that the original hole is entirely hidden by the snap base plate (which stops them from overlapping nicely). If you think about the direction the pull will be, on these snaps, it's towards the front, so having less strength on the back of the post really shouldn't be an issue.

If you decide you want to change, it shouldn't be an issue to carefully drill out the existing male snap and move yours forward, too. I personally think it looks better moved forward than overlapping. (This pic is just before I crimped it down)

20160319234939-c0320b16-la.jpg

Edited by kman

I managed to get my big boy pants on today and deconstructed the Anovos belt! Using a Dremel, I drilled out the back of the rivet. The Dremel created enough heat to help loosen the massive amount of pink glue. I'll need to make a a few repairs before reassembly, but not too bad at all. I expect a full recovery!

61812758392e995fd096173f16b19e76.jpg

• Like 3

Anyone have a good tutorial on how to do a pop rivet? I have rivets and the rivet tool ... And am totally lost. Even watched a few YouTube videos and something just doesn't click. Argh!

Anyone have a good tutorial on how to do a pop rivet? I have rivets and the rivet tool ... And am totally lost. Even watched a few YouTube videos and something just doesn't click. Argh!

Pop rivets look a bit like a nail with an aluminum cap on the top, that's wider than the "nail" part.  The head of the nail is like a little ball that is at the top of the aluminum cap.

22234-2502389.jpg

First you drill a hole in whatever you're riveting that will fit the larger part (the hat), up to the flange/rim.

Insert that top part into the hole you prepared (top "ball" end first), then you put the "nail" part into the opening on the tool. 

Next you squeeze the handles, which makes the mechanism grip the nail part and PULL the ball part (the head of the "nail") into the softer aluminum sleeve.  This forces that aluminum cap to spread out, and become wider than the original hole (that's how a rivet works).  Release the tool handles to reset the ratchet, then continuing squeezing the handles, repeatedly, which will ratchet the head further as the tool continues to pull it into the cap, all the way to the base.  At the end, the tool will automatically cut the "nail" end off, flush with the flange, leaving a relatively smooth bottom, and you're done.

This video seems pretty straightforward to me:

Edited by kman

Thank you, KMan! I think my issue has been trying to pop rivet the belt without enough "stiffness". I'm going to try adding washers on front and back of the belt and see how it goes.

I'll report back tonight!

• Like 1

I didn't know about fully extending the handle at the end. That's probably why I keep having to take a flat head screw driver to pry the inside a part so I can get the nail out. 

Yeah, that was interesting.  I don't recall having to do that with mine, but to be fair, it's literally been years (possibly about 10) since I used my riveting gun.  I can't find the dang thing!  I was debating buying another one but decided I really don't need it anyway.  I attached my Anovos ammo belt to the new belt with Chicago screws instead of rivets, so it's removable and I never have to go through the hell of removing those things again.

Success! Belt is complete. Letting the rivet caps dry and then I'll get some picture. The Kittel Belt is a thing of beauty compared to the Anovos. So happy I went through the pain to fix it.

• Like 2

9365daa89027762af2b9d908d9fdcc62.jpg

Horrible picture... But really happy with how the belt turned out. It rides a little high when snapped on, but I think I'm okay with that. Not sure i want to take it apart again.

I was able to get the shoulder straps glued on today. All that's left is to complete the arm strapping and the belt to hold up the thighs. I should be done tonight!

Photos are scheduled for Saturday!!!

Edited by DadintheFog
  • Like 1

Looking good! Belt is a little high, you'll probably get called to lower that. Tip: It's easier to drill 2 new holes in the ab plate than to re-do the whole belt! (leave the old holes there, or fill them with ABS paste, doesn't matter since they're 100% hidden behind the belt anyway)

You should also move the drop boxes out to the very edge of the belt, aligned with the end and snug to the bottom, like this:

20160319234530-84cc47cf-la.jpg

The elastic can run between the end rivet and the ab snap. :)

Those two fairly easy fixes, and you're looking at an easy pass!

Edited by kman
  • Like 1