Heat gun and modeling iron

I am just about to finish up my list of tools/supplies for my TK kit and was hoping to get some forum advice. Question.. When buying these two items am I wasting my money by buying the cheapest I can find. I just am not familiar with most of the brands out there and don't want to buy something I'll replace after a couple uses. I'd rather pay a couple bucks more for better quality tools. Any brands you guys can recommend? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First it depends if you are going to need it or not. Personally I would wait to get the armor first to assess if those tools are needed. One person's armor build is not like another. No need to spend on items if they're not a necessity.

The Hangar 9 sealing iron is what I've used in the past.

For heat guns, I've personally didn't see a difference. I have a Wagner and a cheap Harbor Freight one. Both work well. It all depends on you being comfortable and understanding the temp settings and the distance you hold the gun to the armor when forming the plastic (bending/shaping)

• Like 2

First it depends if you are going to need it or not. Personally I would wait to get the armor first to assess if those tools are needed. One person's armor build is not like another. No need to spend on items if they're not a necessity.

The Hangar 9 sealing iron is what I've used in the past.

For heat guns, I've personally didn't see a difference. I have a Wagner and a cheap Harbor Freight one. Both work well. It all depends on you being comfortable and understanding the temp settings and the distance you hold the gun to the armor when forming the plastic (bending/shaping)

I agree with Daniel here! Wait until you actually need them. I used the heat gun but never needed the iron. It was almost a waste of money for me.

If you foresee yourself needing to recreate return edges then you can get a hobby iron but like everyone else said, don't bother until you need it. I got mine from Amazon and if you're a prime member it shows up in 2 days anyways. 

Agreed. What they said!

I think I might have my dad's iron in with all his RC airplane tools, but didn't look too hard for it. The only time I could have used it, I solve with careful us of a lighter to soften a corner to re-align.

They're handy to have around, but yeah...  Unless you identify the need, wait on them.  The Hangar 9 ones are what I have also.  Found them in a package deal on www.smile.amazon.com for about $25.