Another newbie helmet build that needs help...

So my ATA helmet arrived yesterday and I made the initial cuts. All I've done is followed the mold lines on the faceplate sides and the sides of the rear/cap. I've also marked the eyes (but not cut) and have also sanded out the back of the teeth ready to get a small file in them. I really haven't cut much material but am concerned I've cut too much off the left (as you look at the helmet.

Ok, I have straightened that bit, cut the eyes out, done the teeth and have initially assembled held in place with bolts. I'm doing the ears but am struggling and can't get rid of the gap completely.<br><br>

I have some milliput to fit the lenses and mesh inside the helmet (have also used it to strengthen the plastic where the hovi mic tips are).<br><br>

Now, would it pass the 501st test if I were to fill the gap with the milliput?? I'll try and attach pics of the gap...

Gaps are screen accurate to a degree. That's fine. If you're overly worried,  you can order a second pair of ears. People use all sorts of stuff to mount their lenses and reinforce the hovi mics. You can do whatever you want to the inside of your bucket as long as it doesn't effect the outside appearance (excluding mesh behind teeth)

Back in the day , everyone seemed to think mouth mesh was good .... I suppose on oversized FX helmets it helped hide the wearer . But these days we know it was never used in the movies , so it seems a bit of a pointless addition . I'm pretty sure at one stage it was required for garrison admission but not now ??? <br>

Maybe an armorer can shout up and clear up the question of mesh ...acceptable in 2016 or not ??

MEPD voted for CRL updates about abandoning mesh or not on level 2 and 3 but it was shot down. Not everyone wants to paint the inside of their helmets black and a little mesh does help being able to see through the teeth some. 

I have nothing inside my helmet. Besides that flower shaped foam on the top. I'm a bit claustrophobic and it had always been a concern of mine if I'd be able to wear the helmet, especially for long periods of time. So to avoid that feeling I didn't put anything in. And it's great. Super comfy and all! :)

I'm kinda OCD about the gaps myself. I just started redoing my helmet and put a new set of ears on. They had small gaps so I just took some calk and smoothed it around the sides. Then let it dry, sanded it all down and painted it and you can't even tell it's there. Not sure if that's an automatic fail or not. I have a HIPS helmet though so I have to do painting anyway. Not sure what you have but if it's ABS or something similar and you don't have to paint then I wouldn't touch it

Edited by SirDenzington89

Mine is ABS, which is quite enjoyable to work with. Have shifted everything around and made good progress. Need to tidy some of the lining up a bit, plus I'm waiting on the tube stripe templates to arrive and the foam for the interior. Please feel free to give criticism as I'd like to get 501st approval.<br><br><br>

Feel free to be brutal, this is the first time doing anything like this so need as many pointers as possible.<br><br><br>

I can't seem to add photo's, any advice?

Edited by JimmyFilth

• 1 month later...