What if I mess up!

Hi there I'm new to the FISD and I am currently looking into building my armor and then joining the 501st!

Ive been looking through the fourms and reading up on stuff about stuff and I worry whenever I do order my kit (which I feel like Affordable Troop Armor might be a good vendor for me.) but what happens if I mess up, I could ruin my whole kit and then Id be in more trouble than any trooper who fails Vader!!!! What are some mistakes to avoid while building my armor and what are common mistakes or things to avoid, and what to do if I do mess up on something?

Edited by Blackbomber
  • Like 1

When you mess something up, you won't ruin your kit.

I say that, because almost every build thread I've read has an "oops" moment in it somewhere. Unless you manage to somehow remove WAY too much plastic, or glue something really, really badly using CA glue so it cannot be undone, nothing you do to these kits cannot be repaired with a little bit of work.

In my blaster build, I attached the bayonet lug upside down. I had to cut it in half with a Dremel and reattach the top of it properly.

In my TK build, I attached the shin hooks to the wrong side of the shin, and had to rip them out literally twenty minutes before leaving for my first event in armor.

During my First Order TK build, I've managed to glue the replacement chest piece in upside down, using Devcon glue. I had to take a Diamond Cutting Wheel for the Dremel and cut it out of the chest so I could re-do it.

I'm allegedly appreciated as a good builder, and these are things that I've done wrong. All of them simple things that happened because I got careless, or rushed, or simply didn't pay attention for mere seconds while building. All three of them have been corrected without incident. It happens. With your first build, use E6000 and you'll have the ability to undo any mistake with very little difficulty at all.

Besides that, we've got your back, and we won't let you ruin your kit. ;)

• Like 6

I say that, because almost every build thread I've read has an "oops" moment in it somewhere. Unless you manage to somehow remove WAY too much plastic, or glue something really, really badly using CA glue so it cannot be undone, nothing you do to these kits cannot be repaired with a little bit of work.

In my blaster build, I attached the bayonet lug upside down. I had to cut it in half with a Dremel and reattach the top of it properly.

In my TK build, I attached the shin hooks to the wrong side of the shin, and had to rip them out literally twenty minutes before leaving for my first event in armor.

During my First Order TK build, I've managed to glue the replacement chest piece in upside down, using Devcon glue. I had to take a Diamond Cutting Wheel for the Dremel and cut it out of the chest so I could re-do it.

I'm allegedly appreciated as a good builder, and these are things that I've done wrong. All of them simple things that happened because I got careless, or rushed, or simply didn't pay attention for mere seconds while building. All three of them have been corrected without incident. It happens. With your first build, use E6000 and you'll have the ability to undo any mistake with very little difficulty at all.

Excellent words of wisdom from Tim! I just finished my first build a little bit ago, and I was very fortunate to be given the same sort of advice. I would say that the most important advice is to use E6000 as Tim mentioned (I bolded it for just a touch of emphasis :P). Though I went super slow and checked these forums hundreds of times, I still managed to put a couple things in the wrong place - thankfully, E6000 is rather forgiving in that you can remove it much more easily than ABS cement or intensive super glues.  On another note, never be afraid to ask questions about anything - I'm sure I speak for more than just myself when I say that I've certainly felt very lost and intimidated at times, but the folks here are nothing but helpful and motivational to help guide you down the right path.

• Like 2

Excellent words of wisdom from Tim! I just finished my first build a little bit ago, and I was very fortunate to be given the same sort of advice. I would say that the most important advice is to use E6000 as Tim mentioned (I bolded it for just a touch of emphasis :P). Though I went super slow and checked these forums hundreds of times, I still managed to put a couple things in the wrong place - thankfully, E6000 is rather forgiving in that you can remove it much more easily than ABS cement or intensive super glues.  On another note, never be afraid to ask questions about anything - I'm sure I speak for more than just myself when I say that I've certainly felt very lost and intimidated at times, but the folks here are nothing but helpful and motivational to help guide you down the right path.

Thank you both very much for the Advice!

• Like 2

There is almost an expected high level of anxiety with your first build given the investment most of us have made in securing our armor as well as the novelty of the build. As has been stated, taking your time and doing your research are key. I reviewed many builds and soon discovered there were recurring motifs with each aspect of the build as well as many permutations of mistakes humbly displayed online allowing perusers to take advantage of the former and avoid the latter. The complexity and sophistication of the build lie in the number of steps and parts necessary to make functional armor, but I found there was no single step that was difficult. As Tim pointed out, mistakes made are often due to impatience and carelessness given there is no part of the build that would be construed as physically challenging or necessarily intricate.

With the rich resources of the FISD, I was able to take a Troopermaster  2mm Hero kit and finish it to EIB and Centurion status (still waiting onTK boots to finish the job and submit my application) in 7 weekends with just a few hours a weekend.

I've not been around more gracious people than those on the FISD. Get started, take your time and ask questions. You'll do great!

• Like 3

There is almost an expected high level of anxiety with your first build given the investment most of us have made in securing our armor as well as the novelty of the build. As has been stated, taking your time and doing your research are key. I reviewed many builds and soon discovered there were recurring motifs with each aspect of the build as well as many permutations of mistakes humbly displayed online allowing perusers to take advantage of the former and avoid the latter. The complexity and sophistication of the build lie in the number of steps and parts necessary to make functional armor, but I found there was no single step that was difficult. As Tim pointed out, mistakes made are often due to impatience and carelessness given there is no part of the build that would be construed as physically challenging or necessarily intricate.

With the rich resources of the FISD, I was able to take a Troopermaster  2mm Hero kit and finish it to EIB and Centurion status (still waiting onTK boots to finish the job and submit my application) in 7 weekends with just a few hours a weekend.

I've not been around more gracious people than those on the FISD. Get started, take your time and ask questions. You'll do great!

Thanks Tom and its nice to see someone from North Carolina on the forums since I'm originally from North Carolina, The Carolina Garrison has a lot of members!!!!

• Like 1