orbit_77's AM2.0 Stunt Build Thread

After a summer/fall hiatus, I'm ready to tackle my first armour build - an AM2.0 TK Stunt.

I previously started an ATA helmet, but soon realized that it was going to be too small, so it sits abandoned and half finished in a box, but it gave me the necessary experience and confidence to tackle the AM2 helmet.  This weekend a decided to get started and am excited to be sitting beside a almost-complete bucket.

I'll take some photos and post them here shortly, along with the a few comments/suggestions on assembling the AM2 helmet based on my experience.

Cheers,

George

First, thanks to everyone posting their build threads. I've been reading for months and tried to follow all the great advice shared here. 

I think I was mostly successful in assembling my bucket. I'll post some photos at the end and would appreciate all comments and suggestions.

As has often be stated the AM2 helmet is a bit quirky to fit. I ended up having to re-drill three times before I got it level and without a 'bump on one side. The first time I tried I ended up with a slight bump on one side where there was a gap between the top piece and the faceplate, resulting in a off-kilter brow line.

In the end I started on the left (while looking at the front), which someone else had recommended, and set that side with one screw.  I then followed the same advice I read on the ATA threads to push the faceplate tight up against the top/back, keeping a lot of tension in the plastic before marking the right side.  The tension is to take up any slack between the two pieces, and to put pressure on the black gasket and eliminate any gaps.  That worked, and I ended up with a nice, level brow with no gaps or bumps.

Because the the AM2 comes pre-trimmed, I realized that I was going to have to screw the faceplate to the back just above the cheek tubes to pull the two halves together.  There is pre-marked dimple for this on the right side, but I had to do it for both sides to get the ears to fit.

Even after taking the above step, the left ear still wouldn't fit if positioned over the dimples, so I had to re-shape the shape of the half-circle on the helmet to allow the ear to sit about 1/4" lower, which let the inner curve of the ear fit up agains the cheek tube correctly. I still had to use a model iron to reshape the left side to push up the tube  into the ear, which I did before adding the extra screw I mentioned above.  

After sitting with the big, brown box in my house for several months, I really wanted a helmet I could put on, so I have used a few temporary fixes that I'll update  as I get the items I need (as in I used blue fun-tac to install the mesh and lenses just cause I wanted to see what the helmet should look like), and for now I just have the thin AM2 supplied plastic. Once I have more scrape ABS, I'll build posts and install thicker lens material in a more secure way. 

Anyhow, here are the photos:

Front:

TK%20-%201_zps52a1xifz.jpg

Left Side:

By moving the ear down, I ended up creating a small gap that I'll fix once I have scrap ABS by glueing a small piece on the side of the helmet.

Because the ear was pre-trimmed this way, there was no other way to get it to fit.

Ear bumps still need painting.

TK%20-%202_zpsdnjvvlhq.jpg

Right side:

You can see that the right ear naturally sits slightly below the brow, so that was the big clue for me that it would be alright for me to adjust the left side down to get it to fit.

I'll reshape this ear later to try to eliminate the gap on the lower portion, but I was doing this in my kitchen so I couldn't do any serious sanding.

TK%20-%203_zpswwmqiujl.jpg

Insides:

When deciding to join the 501st and build a TK, I knew that I not only wanted to look like a storm trooper, but I wanted to sound like one too.

Very early in my research, I came across ukswath's post on helmet electronics and knew that I wanted to do the same thing. I ordered the rom/FX and hovi-tip speakers, along with echo's fan bracket.

I'm glad I decided to abandon the ATA helmet, because even with the extra size afforded by the AM2 helmet, I still feel the rom/FX touching my hair on the back of my head, so there is no way it would have fit in the smaller ATA. I just hope there will be enough room for the hearing aid board (once I assemble it).

Right now it's all battery powered, but I plan on following ukswrath's instructions to wire everything to an external battery on my torso, which should give me a bit more space in the helmet.

TK%20-%204_zpsemubmz0t.jpg

Inside Front:

Here you can see the fun-tac and the thin lens material I will upgrade later.

I will likely have to replace the blowers that come standard with Echo's bracket as they are so wide the mounting screw threatens to draw blood every time I take the bucket on and off.

Does anyone have any recommendations for low profile (and quiet) blowers? 

TK%20-%205_zpsfhdqj733.jpg

That's it for now.  What's next? the armour! Still debating if I should start with arms or legs... thoughts?

Replace the fun tack with Sugru.  You can get it in white, and it'll be way more permanent.

Also, as you build, keep in mind that even though AM2 is pre-trimmed, it's not necessarily pre-trimmed RIGHT. That was a lesson it took me a while to learn, don't trust where stuff is cut (especially on the back, butt, and sniper knee plate.) Look at other approved builds to see what it should look like after final trimming.

Oh, and don't forget to paint the screws in the ears white.  (:  If you can countersink them, even better!