Ruthar's AM 2.0 TD Build Thread

Exciting stuff Taylor.

Definitely - I can't wait to actually go out all suited up! Many thanks for the guidance again - truly motivational!

Congratulations! Your build is awesome! Can I ask what iCom model is that?! Lol

I don't think there are multiple models available, though I could be wrong? I emailed TK Products and it seemed like there was only one available - you can find it on their website here. It's a whole lot of fun to play with!

Did a rather necessary piece this afternoon as the troop preparations continue. As an insulin-dependent type 1 diabetic, my insulin pump and me are attached at all times so I had to come up with a way to get it on my form. Originally, I thought of slipping it into the large spanish pouch on my belt, but that didn't work as it left the tubing exposed which could potentially get snagged, grabbed, and it just didn't look quite right. So I took out some more scrap ABS and played around with some fire again to mold a little bracket for it beneath the electronics behind the chest. The pump's clip slides around the ABS piece which is then held in place with two strips of heavy duty velcro so I can attach it and remove it easily. 

The bracket:

IMG_3731.jpg

ABS bracket + clip:

IMG_3732.jpg

It sits on the left snuggly within the angle of the chest piece so the tubing can run right down to the abdomen without much difficulty:

IMG_3733.jpg

You can see just a touch of the pump's black casing from the side, but that should be nearly invisible with the black undershirt:

IMG_3734.jpg

Unfortunately, I pulled out one of the elastics from my boots this afternoon, so I'll be getting the sewing kit out in a few to make that repair. I also decided to use the headset instead of keep the microphone installed in the helmet itself - it allowed for hiding the wires running to the chestpiece easier when putting the gear on instead of running the wire behind the armor with the bucket on and arm pieces on.

• 1 month later...

Try swapping them onto the other leg and take another pic for comparison.

Derrick, here are the shins swapped (though it's in a mirror so it doesn't look like they are actually swapped :P ). Do you think this is better? It's really hard for me to tell, I've been going back and forth a bunch of times whether I have it right or not. If anyone else has some input, please do say so - it would help a lot! :) Pics:

IMG_4020.jpg

IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

Along with that, after a handful of troops I have realized that I'm not super happy with the crooked brow look that I got when I first built the helmet. I've tried to add some material to help shift it into the right place. It's better though still not perfect - maybe I'm just too picky!

Shim under brow (tape and extra brow trim):

IMG_4019.jpg

Before:

2015-11-27-2823.jpg

After:

IMG_4018.jpg

I guess what's really throwing me off is the tops of the shins. They seem to both be slanted in the same direction instead of opposite. Is that normal for the TK shins? I would assume that the outsides and insides should be the same angle, though the way I have it that is not the case though the curved pieces are (what I believe) definitely match. Perhaps I'm just looking to far into this! :P

Here's what I mean by the slants seemingly in the same direction. The ridges along the top are both low on the same side (inside on one and outside on the other) though I would assume it should be opposite. Hmm...

FullSizeRender.jpg

I'll have to take some photos of mine but I don't have any issue with my AM2.0 shins. I followed that one tutorial to show how to identify the proper pieces by looking at the angles at the top

Thanks, Jason! I thought I followed things correctly, but the more I look at it, the less and less sure I get. :P

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28321-sure-fire-am-20-shin-identification/

Check this out. This is the easiest way to tell the difference. 

Oh thank you so much! I think that helps clear it up. Here's a pic from the top:

IMG_4025.jpg

The harsher angles (labeled 45 degrees in the post linked above by Jason) are indeed on the outsides, so I think they are correct after all. Mystery solved (I think)!

Looks correct to me. The important part is making sure you got the right pieces. I think someone accidentally was sent two of the same pieces and that's where a bunch of confusion started. You wear your knee plate so much higher than I do. But I'm short and if mine were high like yours I couldn't walk. 

AC439EA5-F056-477A-BFD9-93C4CD9142D4.jpg

Edited by Airborne Trooper

Yeah, I think I have the right pieces now that I see it from the right angle. Thanks again for pointing out that thread!

I was looking through a bunch of shots from the films to see where exactly the knee piece goes, and to me it seemed like the middle point edges of the diamond lined up with the top of the shin. I might actually move it down to be a touch more mobile - as it stands now, I have foam in the thighs to keep them from falling too low and contacting the knee piece, but I never considered just moving the knee piece down (duh! :P ). So far so good, but it might be something I want to adjust down the road.

I was watching trooperbay's video and he said something along the lines that the sides of the diamond should be centered between the ridge at the top of the shins. Mine is pretty close to that and after a few test runs I knew I couldn't go any higher without it being right in front of my thigh. I also put like 4 or 5 layers of ABS scrap on the back so it sticks outwards too. 

Edited by Airborne Trooper
  • Like 1