Uninformed, Unintelligent, and downright Baffling questions from a newbie.

Alright, I'm going to try to layout my thoughts as coherently as I can. So, let's get to it.

I have never built a Trooper costume before. I want to make one, but with some personal flair added to it. Herein lies my problem.

I see a lot of great costumes here, done so well and accurate. And I don't want to mess that up. The costumes frankly look too good for me to mess them up. People pay a lot of money to recreate what we see on screen. Meanwhile I would just be taking someone kit that they took a lot of work into making, and potentially ruining it.

So, really, the question is this. 

If accuracy is not a concern because it would be modified, what is a good armor to build off of that's on the cheaper end of the spectrum?

The way I see it, if I do something absolutely ridiculous as a first attempt, where mistakes can be turned into part of the design without issue, then later on I can do an accurate Trooper suit based on what I learn.

I know not what I'm doing really, only what I want to do. So if anyone could point me in the right direction so I can experiment and possibly fail spectacularly for all to see and everyone to learn from, without ruining a rare and expensive armor kit that would better go to someone that will treat it with due respect: I would greatly appreciate it.

To everyone that sees this, even if you don't have pertinent information in the topic, I thank you for your time.

• Like 1

Welcome to FISD Ty.  I guess I am a little confused by your question(s).  Are you looking to build armor and make it a stormtrooper or are you looking to experiment with armor and make it look somewhat like a stormtrooper but different?  If you are just worried that you are going to make a bunch of mistakes but are intending on building armor to be a stormtrooper then you are jumping in the same boat as many new members here.  Everyone makes mistakes especially if you are doing it for the first time.  All of the fears and anxiety go away after you start working on your builds.

This is why the FISD is here!  We are here to help guide you through the information and your build so you will eventually feel comfortable.  You should reach our to your local garrison and see if you can possibly meet up with members and have a build party if you do not feel comfortable.

There are a great selection of armor to choose from and it all comes down to your body type.  I hope this helps.  And again welcome!

• Like 1

Greetings Ty, and welcome to the FISD!!!

I'll start by first echoing what Steve had to say:  If you'd ultimately prefer to become a member of the Legion and have a screen accurate costume, then do so.  The FISD and in all likelihood, your local Garrison can and will help you to achieve that goal.

I started out in a decent sized, very active Garrison, but I lived no closer than a two hour drive from any other members so I had the FISD and the FISD alone.  I had never build anything like this before and because of my size (6'2", 225lbs) I wound up choosing an armor kit (RT-Mod) that is not on the cheaper end of the spectrum.  I had all of the same fears that you touched on when that big brown box arrived, and using just the FISD, I was able to build my E-11 and my armor to very high standards, as with a few modifications after my approval, I have attained Centurion status with my TK.  

It can be done by people with very little to no experience.  Trust me.  ;)

As for your local Garrison, where do you live?  We may have some very active FISD Attaches living near you, or be able to put you in contact with your local Garrison and you may be able to attend some events and/or armor parties prior to beginning your own armor build.  This would help you see what sort of work goes into building the armor, and help you feel more comfortable and confident in your ability to do so.

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

As for the custom idea...  again, as Steve said, the first thing to consider is your size: Ht/Wt/Waist, as those are the three single most important factors.

Oh a build day sounds fun. I'm nervous about doing my helmet maybe I should find someone in Toronto who has done a bunch of AP helmets.

Find these FISD users: Pickles, Clamps, or mechapumpkin.

They can help you with your AP in person and have armor parties often.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I do want to become a member of the Legion eventually, but at the moment the budget for the costume just isn't there. That's why I wanted to start with a project unrelated to the Legion, where I start with a Trooper and just let my imagination run wild and create my own variant. Something like, a Hazmat trooper with oxygen tanks on the back with hoses leading into the helmet with green striping on the armor. Or a sniper with asymmetrical and a rifle I'd put together myself. 

The reason I want to do something outlandish like that is because if I'm aiming for a screen accurate costume and I screw up, it'll be glaringly obvious and potentially difficult and expensive to repair. Whereas if I'm making something totally unique, I can work any mistakes into the build and better learn from them.

Does that make sense?

The only cheapest option takes a long time (like 10 month waiting list right now) and even then its not cheap, if you're going halfway here you may as well go all the way and just build a TK to the best of your ability.<br><br><br>

If you're looking for a cheap costume to mess with a costume shop would be the cheap way. Nothing you'll find here is cheap lol.

Edited by Knockerbot

Yeah, I figured that would be the case. I did see a set of trooper armor on ebay for just over 200. I fully expect it to be terrible, but it's within my budget. and it wouldn't be a major set back if I were to screw something up.

That's be biggest worry, is that I'll do something so horrifically wrong that I'm out over a thousand dollars.

If you see any armor for sale on eBay for $200 you need to stay away, far away. There's a warning here on the forum in reference to reputable vendors and armor for sale on eBay.

As for ideas for your Stormtrooper, I'm going to suggest the elite group, Heavy Weapons Trooper! We bring the pain, and bring it heavy! post-20308-144193278704_thumb.jpg