Removing cover strips (glued with E-6000)

If it's E6000, then it's easy to do - no heat is required.

Slip something like a flathead screwdriver or a razorblade (be careful not to accidently score the plastic) between the cover strip and the armor, and slowly and gently pry up the strip. Clean up any residue simply by rubbing it off with your thumb.

This is one of the reasons why we recommend E6000 so highly. Unlike with CA glue or 2-part epoxy, mistakes are easy to undo. :)

• Like 3

Thanks! It worked - I got it started with a screwdriver and then pulled off the strip slowly...

1oZJ3eZ.jpg

here it is most of the way off...

mHjJyRo.jpg

then a little rubbing with my thumb, and voila! (it needs a little more attention but it's almost ready for a new strip in the proper width)

XsOVGb2.jpg

• Like 2

Don't do the same mistake I did Ken, the 15mm cover strip should cover the "step" molded in the bicep pretty much entirely (at least in the front). If your biceps are too big you could just a wider strip in the back of the bicep. 

M8WpniG.jpg

You see on this picture that I used a 15mm strip to cover and it doesn't look good at all.

SRD0Esv.jpg

See on this picture, the molded step in the bicep is barely showing.

So, that's what I originally thought, but then was told that the cover strip needs to be 15mm regardless of the 'step' size. I kind of already took it off... :huh:

I'm also going for Centurion ultimately, that may have a bearing on this - and I actually don't mind the look of a wide step with a 15mm strip. I can't fit my arms into the biceps if I make them any smaller, either.

Any pros have advice here?

Thanks!

Edited by Koyaanisqatsi
  • Like 1

Well, that 'was' the inside of the arm. Should I put on a new strip at 30mm (same size as the one I ripped off), or 15mm (official size)? or, does it matter as long as it's the inside? Honestly, a 30mm strip would cover the glue/sanding/yuck best...

This is confusing, but I'm kind of glad I ripped that piece off if for no other reason than learning how easy it is! :)

Thanks!

Edited by Koyaanisqatsi

The most definitive answer I can find is from Chills, who is Centurion and says that a wide cover strip is not good for higher levels (e.g. Centurion).

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31830-ata-fit-and-finishing-strips-on-arms/?p=421697

I'm going with 15mm cover strips even on the inside...