Imperial Boots can't do wide feet (10 E) they say, so I'm planning on going with Caboots because they will.

Any issues with caboots from an approval standpoint? Hope to find out before I spend the extra $$. :)

Thanks!

Here's the pic from their site:

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

CA Boots are OK for basic approval, however, if you are looking to achieve a level of higher accuracy, you will need to switch out to a type of boot that does not have a seam in the front. TK Boots, Imperial Boots, or painted Chelsea, Jodhpur,  or bass amsterdam horseriding boots (no built in spur on the heel, please!) is what you will need.http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Mens-Amsterdam-Ankle-Boot/dp/B003TFEVN0

• 2 weeks later...

So these Bass shoes would probably work better, right? I know they are acceptable, but the reviews are just not as good, so I worry about comfort... (people seem to really like the Clarks) :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LZT9FO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And yes - convince Caboots to get rid of the seam! Do you see all the people needing boots right now? Imperial boots is the only viable option these days, and they are in China, plus not responding very well these days (I know - vacation, etc. but still...) :)

Thanks!

The Bass boots are fine, but roaming around recent boot painting threads you come across these Roamers which are better for two reasons. Taller and the elastic is a more even shape on the sides of the seem where the bass points to the front a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Roamers-Unisex-Leather-Jodhpur-Equestrian/dp/B00QWA7U32/ref=pd_sbs_309_41?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EN9WKFFWGEKVREXNR0C

Here it is. Scroll half way down to Mr BEaring's post.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28920-which-one-is-the-right-boot/

Edited by SeanTX

Thanks! I did see those and like them, and I totally see what you mean by the height, but they don't have any reviews and when I was looking, they didn't have a size 10 (they show they do now). They also take until almost October to arrive (from the UK), which is too late for me - I want to finish my TK in September (by Oct 1 is my goal).

Trying to get past the 'analysis paralysis' and get things moving, I ordered the Bass Amsterdams (I can get them now), some acrylic leather paint, and some high gloss 'finisher' (hoping that will help but not sure, lol).

Basically following this approach: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27565-how-i-did-my-boots-tkboots-alternative/

I hope it works, but if not I'll have some budget left to try something else... :)

Edited by Koyaanisqatsi

They also take until almost October to arrive (from the UK), which is too late for me - I want to finish my TK in September (by Oct 1 is my goal).

I ordered mine last week and amazon said the same thing. But the company sent an email saying they should show much sooner. possibly next week.

Let me know when you get them, and how they fit - I might need to get some if the Amsterdam's don't work out! :)  (FWIW, I ordered a 10.5 in the Amsterdam's - that was another 'nice to have' - a half size larger but we'll see)

This is kind of how this whole process is going for me - I commit to one thing, and then learn a week later that I probably should have done something else. lol

Thanks!

This is kind of how this whole process is going for me - I commit to one thing, and then learn a week later that I probably should have done something else. lol

My story as well. I emailed the roamer seller and they said they would exchange up a size if I so desired. How fast and how much is up in the air but I'm sure they will be reasonable. They are in the shoe selling biz seems pretty common.

I got the Bass Amsterdam's yesterday and they fit great!

----------

Pretty stiff, but they are new boots after all.

-------

I taped the bottom (don't think i needed to for this part, but being safe) and started a bit with the acetone but I can see it's going to take a long time. 15 minutes or so did almost nothing - just took the shine off... lol

I need to get some chemical gloves for this - I don't want acetone touching my skin for that long! (do it outside too - don't breathe it!)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I swapped the rag for some cotton wipes - similar to cotton balls, made for taking off makeup, etc.. These seem to work better, but even after 15-20 minutes on one shoe, i don't really notice much change. I did see paint coming off onto the wipe, and the amount actually went down over time, but the shoe doesn't look much different.

It's the left one in this picture that I just worked on:

----------

I'm beginning to wonder exactly how far I may need to go before the white paint will work...

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed