New idea for helmet padding

So after starting on my second suit of armour I came to the bucket. In my first suit (TD) I used a construction helmet inner harness glued to the bucket- works well enough and is moderately comfortable even in Australia's hot climate. However I wasn't fully happy with the result. Still a bit of lateral 'play' when you turn your head.

Read the forums here- tried the foam and wasn't too pleased with the result, took it out and after a couple of days had the idea of using a bicycle helmet! This has by far been the best choice ever. You'll need a belt sander to carve up the outside of the helmet and do it in a well ventilated area as the fumes are terrible. Shape to fit your bucket and simply hot glue it in. It works fantastic. Solid comfortable and adjustable.

Works for me hope it helps someone else

735922898_DSC_0026x4_zpsqbwelm6r.jpg.814fb63d8208b1e169b35dd48a3ccea3.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 3

AWESOME idea, Craig!  I like the idea of it fitting right to your head, as I have some trouble when trooping as a HWT because the bucket seems to hang up on the pack a bit.  Plus, it gives me a chance to play with my belt sander!  Thanks for the post!

Thanks Joseph, the added benefit for me is because the helmet is adjustable- I can let my kids put it on and I can fit it to them without it wobbling all over the place lol. Plus at our armouring parties I can let anyone try it and it will fit them all- unless they have a HUGE head