Aker feedback issues

Did not want to hijack the last thread about speakers in the chest plate, so I thought I'd start a new one here. I have an Aker 10W amp (1506 I think) and the headset that it comes with. I keep the amp under my chest armor and run the mic wire up under the neckseal and into the helmet. The amp works great, but I'm having issues with feedback, and that is restricting my ability to set the volume at a level I want. It happens as soon as I put the bucket on my head. Anyone else have problems with this?

I tested the system two nights ago after I had a problem at my last troop. When I hung the amp around my neck, put on the headset and then the bucket, things went fine. But when I fully suited up yesterday with the amp back under my chestplate, feedback again. Very frustrating.

Interesting, one of the TKs had that problem at our last troop. And I get feedback if my amp is turned up a bit too high. Turning down the volume always gets rid of it for me. I have a tendency to want to turn up the Aker volume high, because it always sounds soft to me. I end up having it a little lower than I think is ideal, but I've asked other troopers when I'm out, and they say the volume sounds great. 

Try the volume and see if that helps.

you just have your volume too high. Make the adjustment at home. When you get to a volume that is loud enough but doesn't feedback, mark this with a silver marker both on the dial and next to it so you can set it there the same every time

you just have your volume too high. Make the adjustment at home. When you get to a volume that is loud enough but doesn't feedback, mark this with a silver marker both on the dial and next to it so you can set it there the same every time

Great idea! :D

Yes, I echo what has already been said - you have your volume up too high. Also, your amp will perform differently between simply hanging it around your neck while wearing street clothes versus being in full kit with it mounted under the chestplate - so you have to go with the latter when determining the correct volume setting.

Based on personal experience, I've found that having it roughly halfway between off and max volume is the sweet spot.

Great idea! :D

Yes, I echo what has already been said - you have your volume up too high. Also, your amp will perform differently between simply hanging it around your neck while wearing street clothes versus being in full kit with it mounted under the chestplate - so you have to go with the latter when determining the correct volume setting.

Based on personal experience, I've found that having it roughly halfway between off and max volume is the sweet spot.

I know volume is the issue. I can't get even close to half volume. Its better than my muffles voice behind the helmet, but just not getting a good volume without feedback.

You know, I was going to do just that with my silver Sharpie but ran short on time. I'll mess with it this weekend.

• 1 month later...

I have a round piece of foam cover the speaker grill.  It;s still plenty loud enough, but takes a little high end off go the sound and helps with cutting feedback a little bit.

As mentioned above, it's about volume, but also resonance.  Your voice resonates in your bucket, and you also get the reflection off of your armor, which the mic picks up, causing the feedback.  I keep mi mic right on my lips so I don;'t need to crank the volume.  I can generate feedback if I make an "O" shape with my mouth ( I know what you're thinking, but don't go there ) so I try to speak almost like a ventriloquist.  I'm sure there are many methods that work when it comes to avoiding feedback, this is what works for me.

I cut apart a headset mic so that I only have a 4" or 5" piece velcroed in my bucket.  It goes to a transmitter in my forehead area, to a receiver in my chest, with the amp and iPod for troop chatter.

Take time to find a balance in volume if you have an iPod hooked up to the same amp.

Have someone assist after you put your helmet on.  I never think I can be heard because I only here my voice in the helmet.  Ash someone to "spot you" for the volume and you should find a happy balance.   

• Like 1