Added around 20/30% thinner Sean, I use windolene to thin my acrylics for airbushing, its a blueish window cleaning spray, a lot of artists swear by it or other brands of window cleaner would do I'm sure. You can of course use proper airbrush thinners, I use windolene as it very cheap!.

Maybe experiment on something else first before committing to spraying the boots and also the ratio of paint to thinners, or even on the back of one of the boots. on a side note I wouldn't bother sanding the boots as it scuffs the stitching somewhat, acetone is more than enough to deglaze them!

Also I used masking fluid to mask the edge as it was easier to follow the rough edge where the sole meets the leather, I haven't unmasked them yet but will post pics soon if you want to see how they come out, its difficult using masking tape as it works better on a smooth surface.

Thanks Mark!, I know I think I went a bit over the top stripping them to be honest, I get carried away working on things sometimes, have to know when to stop! lol

Seems like a good idea anyway Sean, theoretically should stop any bleed through, I will wait until I unmask mine though before I get too excited about it  :D

• 2 months later...

Ok four months latter and I'm finally getting back to this post!.

As often happens life got in the way but I have had some free time lately so I finished off my second pair of boots.

Perviously I had run out of Angelus White leather paint so I bought some more, this time its 'flat white' but I can't see any obvious difference to be honest, in hindsight I should have bought a bigger bottle to begin with but wasn't sure how much I would go through for two pairs of boots.

I have actually lost count of how many layers I have put on these boots but at a guess between 5 to 8 coats, then a coat of 'Angelus satin finisher' to waterproof and protect them.

The masking fluid has actually worked brilliantly for this type of boot and I would highly recommend it to anyone, the separation between the boot and leather is not as defined as the rubber jodhpurs I had and so very difficult to mask off the rubber 'ridges' using any kind of masking tape without bleed through, the masking fluid is perfect!, I used decorators blue masking tape around the sides of the rubber sole first then painted the masking fluid very carefully up to the edge I wanted to separate the line from the leather, the first boot I only applied one coat of masking fluid and it took maybe 30 mins of cleanup with a knife after spray painting to remove the liquid mask, the second boot I applied maybe 2/3coats and it came off like a dream, have to score a line around the boot between the rubber and leather before trying to remove the mask, If you try this then I can't stress too much how important this line is to get right, just take your time and keep a real steady hand, obviously don't go so deep as to cut through the leather but don't go too shallow either as you want it to go completely through the (rubber) mask, make sure to use a new blade on your knife.

While peeling the masking tape off the masking liquid came right off with it, you may have to do a little trimming here and there to make it 'look right' afterwards but very little clean up.

By the way 'artists masking fluid' is basically latex rubber, if you buy some make sure it is not too old as it can go off in the bottle, or if its near to going off it won't be runny enough to paint on properly, it should be almost the consistency of milk and be easy to paint with, also be prepared to sacrifice a brush as it wrecks brushes!, use a relatively cheap brush but one that can hold an edge well.

I have probably forgot to mention some steps on this process but will add if it comes back to me!, feel free to ask any question you have.

Oh yeah by the way I'm a novice at airbrushing, I only have a cheap ebay airbrush and haven't had much practice but realized the compressor I was using was inadequate so went out and bought a 50 liter jefferson compressor, so much better but need a good airbrush now, the one I have was ok for this job though.

Oh yeah a side note on the elastic:

The previous 'rubber jodhpurs' elastic were easy enough to spray white with the angelus but the Rinegold leather jodhpurs were a different story!, the elastic is different on these and sucking the paint in. In the end I just painted it on with a brush but still had to leave it over night to fully dry and repeat several times, its still not quite white but close enough, I can go back and do more coats at a latter date if needed.

Ok enough talk and onto the pics! :D

Finished Paint job and finisher!

DSC_0262_zpsjdvcev34.jpg

DSC_0263_zpsgj4k3taq.jpg

DSC_0264_zps5iqi5p8c.jpg

DSC_0265_zpsgcewnhhl.jpg

DSC_0266_zpsokpxkgmr.jpg

DSC_0267_zpsmrgd2yxj.jpg

DSC_0268_zps3lxzbjve.jpg

Angelus paints and finisher

DSC_0269_zpsbwbgyxhp.jpg

My cheap 'Royalmax' airbrush.

DSC_0270_zpscycuyghn.jpg

A little overspray went onto the bottom of the boots but I'm not too concerned about this.

DSC_0271_zpscuu6chia.jpg

The first boot with the 'one layer' of masking fluid and masking tape removed

DSC_0272_zpsfpeyytl6.jpg

Start of the cleanup

DSC_0273_zpsim5xdaf3.jpg

DSC_0274_zpstwx5btmo.jpg

scoring with a knife

DSC_0275_zps7xgbh4c9.jpg

DSC_0277_zpspsb3wk0t.jpg

The first boot finished!

DSC_0278_zpsrliyuzrf.jpg

DSC_0279_zpskl2cjicv.jpg

DSC_0280_zpsiu7vhofr.jpg

DSC_0281_zpsd3no1zz5.jpg

DSC_0282_zpsdude5btl.jpg

DSC_0283_zpskzvst8xe.jpg

DSC_0284_zpsuwjddvyr.jpg

side by side with the second boot

DSC_0285_zpsuagwsfb7.jpg

Removing the mask on the second boot after scoring, as I said before '2/3 layers of masking fluid', came off in 'one peel', worked like a dream! :D

DSC_0288_zpsgkqegmqe.jpg

DSC_0289_zpsetgrmrmj.jpg

DSC_0290_zpslo9lv4v5.jpg

DSC_0291_zpsv7seaysf.jpg

DSC_0292_zpsvq0klrfr.jpg

Thats all for now folks, I'm quite pleased with the results and hope it helps anyone spray painting their boots  :rolleyes:

• Like 2