bad paint job

ook so i have done a pretty spot on job for my TK armor now all i have left is the helmet painting. 

i really did a poor job on the black vocoder on the chin and i was wondering if anybody had any paint removing tips and also any painting tips in general. i have yet to paint the frown and the ears so any advice moving forward would be wondeful. :smiley-sw013:

I just did a second coat on all the grey, about to do pinstripes and vocoder. But I got it off with a toothpick dipped in paint thinner. Next time I'll use a q-tip cut in half to have an absorbent end so I don't just smear around the dissolved paint. Just go slowly and keep looking back n forth at references. Try to do it when you're calm and full so your hand doesn't shake (happens to me). If you want you can use painters tape like 1/8 inch away from your pencil lines to keep them straight or just use it like normal and place right on the line and paint over it then pull it off. The frown is more artistic, I used a small flat brush and use a medium amount of paint on your brush. Paint each tooth's sides down like an oval rather than up like an hourglass and leave a small bit of white like the crl shows. The right ear as you wear it was easier for me (ATA ABS) to see the rectangle than the left but I evened everything out on my second coat. I used humbrol btw

Edited by charlesnarles

Removing paint is tough as ABS and PVC can be eaten by most commercial paint strippers. Your best bet is mineral spirits and lots of elbow grease. For the tiny nooks and crannies use toothpicks or nail salon sticks.

Ince your ready to start again, the beat tip I can give is to thin your paints, it helps with flow. You want the consistency to be a tad thicker than milk.

Good luck!

When I painted up my TD helmet I took it back to white a few times as I tried out different approaches.  Mineral spirits is the way to go.  Once stripped off it looks shiny white and new again. 

I used testors paint. I didnt want to remove the paint so much as i wanted to kind of shape up what i already painted. I know my skill level and i feel id be left eoth the same outcome again if i repainted.

So for detailing paint thinner on a toothpick does the trick?