TK-? My AP build

Exactly. The back part snap will just hang out in between and have space between it and the armor. (Thanks to Spacebrew who taught me that one.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But the 2 pieces of plastic still won't touch each other (so can't be glued properly) because of the space taken by the back of the snap... unless I encase it in one of the plates.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, excuse the rough drawing.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1432482971.830018.jpg

Ahh. Got it!  I understood it wrong obviously.  I'll check it out. Thanks :)

And I guess that even if I use E6000 to put the final piece unto the armor, I could use something more permanent and fast (like Plastic Melt) to make this thing.

While working on the 2nd thigh set (the right side), I came upon this (which is known to other builders of AP).

011_zpsszwmq3zc.jpg

Even though the bottom (i.e. the ridge) part is very well aligned, the top isn't. In fact, the right half of the right thigh is much higher and the left part of the right thigh. The left thigh is OK though.  So I know that other builders (like MechaPumpkin... whose build tread is an inspiration) have trimmed it off at the top to fit because it just looks bad (and I'm sure it will poke where it hurts). That means I'll lose the return edge on that half as well.  As per MechaPumpkin's recommendation, I'm asking you guys for your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.

The inner strips of the forearms are ready (24hrs, finally!) so I can recover a whole bunch of clamps :P

And here's an easy one for you all.  How do you deal with the excess glue though?  I'll have a hard time fitting the other half if I don't remove it. Do you cut it (with an exacto) or sand it? Or neither... and use super-clamps to fit in the other part? (lol)

011a_zpsvprllgk7.jpg

I think that will be enough for today. I glued the front inner strips for the calves. However, since the AP kit came with the back trimmed for "overlap" joint, I trimmed it a bit to enable me to do the butt-joint (with the velcro strip to close it later).

012.%20Front%20inner%20strip%20on%20calv

You can cut the cut where the 2 parts meet and then rub the rest of the glue off with your thumb. I just went through this step myself and found that gluing the two halfs (with the inner strip) together all at once worked well, and avoided lots of clean up. Check my build thread for a couple pics. My 2 cents. ;)

68Brick:  I'll try that when I get my magnets. For now, I only have clamps and I can't do both pieces at the same time since the clamps won't reach the middle.  :)

Good evening all!

So... I checked about the excess glue thing. I decided to try using the x-acto to make a little slice along the length of the item and then I managed to pull on it and the whole excess came off. Yeee!  That was easier than I thought.

With that, I received my magnets today. Damn! They're strong. I even snapped a pair on a finger by accident and it hurts  :duim:

So I was able to start closing some of the cylindrical parts. First, the biceps... shorter and easier to manage for a first try.  Unfortunately, I only have 10 magnets. I should have ordered more. I'm tempted... but then if I manage to almost finish before they arrive, you know...

Cheers

013.%20Bicep%20assembly_zpsckczy9hh.jpg

• Like 1

2nd update:  Ok, I cheated. After I was sure the biceps were held properly, I removed the magnets from one of them and put longer-reaching clamps instead. That was enough for me to start one forearm right away.   B)

013a_zps2j1vbmw9.jpg

Greetings,

Since I don't have enough magnets (only 10) to make much progress... I ordered 20 more today. That will help.

In the meantime, I continued work on some of the pieces. The bicep pieces are now closed (with inner strips only for now). The second thigh piece now has one inner strip. As for the forearm, I realized it will be hard to force it into place when I close it. So I will need my larger, stronger clamps for that but they're busy at the moment  :P   So I decided to install the outer strip on it for now. This should solidify it for when I close it tomorrow evening. Urg... I hate those 24hrs wait times  :huh:

Cheers!

014.%20Biceps%20thigh%20and%20forearm%20

• Like 1

If you don't like the long wait and feel confident on what you're doing, zap a gap takes like 15 seconds to cure, faster if you use zip kicker. I've only used it on parts like the biceps and one side of the inner shim on my thigh so far. Need to have some steady hands or another pair of hands to help. 

If you don't like the long wait and feel confident on what you're doing, zap a gap takes like 15 seconds to cure, faster if you use zip kicker. I've only used it on parts like the biceps and one side of the inner shim on my thigh so far. Need to have some steady hands or another pair of hands to help. 

Greetings troopers!

Nice production today (although limited until I get more magnets).

I put one outer strip on each bicep. Tomorrow I'll finish them.

As I mentioned yesterday, I'll have a problem closing the forearms because although one side is very well aligned, I now see that the opposite side isn't. I'll need my strongest clamps to force them into place when I close them. Here's a pic:

015.%20Forearm%20issue_zpswp8h4llb.jpg

I attached the main shoulder snaps (which will be joined with the shoulder strap between the torso and back plates). I decided to go with my experiment and using a snap attached on an ABS plate like this:

017.%20Shoulder%20snap_zpshncmeenx.jpg

And I got the hand guards from Karin in Austria. I took the screen accurate latex, painted white version. Using some Lepage Superglue, here's the result (along with an overview of my evening pieces):

016.%20Biceps%20forearm%20and%20gloves_z

If you are wondering about the small pieces of masking tape around the pieces... I use them to write down the time I put it there. So I'll know when each piece has reached its 24-hr waiting time. Primitive... but efficient.

So that's it for tonight. Cheers!

Edited by Somatophylax

Good morning,

I forgot to mention it in last night's post... but I tried to experiment bending ABS with a heat gun. I started with scraps of ABS and I can say it went bad. I could not make it bend the right way; it kept deforming and twisting a bit. I can't find much on the site about it except for one in the Tips & To Dos section, but with only pics it doesn't help. And the videos I checked out on Youtube aren't good. I wish I could find a video of someone doing it on his ammo belt or battery pack!

Unless there's another technique (maybe the boiling water thing, but I didn't find much either), I might just force the pieces into place and hope the rivets or snaps will hold them :(

Edited by Somatophylax

I have a suggestion for you on the snaps.

Use a Phillips head screw driver first, instead of the tool. This helps to split the shaft in four directions, then use the tool to continue to spread them.

It will give you a better fastening and might make it a little easier.

This was brilliant! I tried this out last night as well and it worked perfectly!

This was brilliant! I tried this out last night as well and it worked perfectly!

Indeed!  And no need to complain about how long the shafts are and how hard it is to bend them fully. 

Good evening,

This coming weekend, I'll have my daughters... So I won't work much on my armor. I spent part of the evening putting away my gear and especially the tools (and blades) so that they won't play with them while they're with me.

That being said, I managed to do a few things.  The biceps now have their final outer strips. This means that the next time I do something with them will be to install the snaps inside. Yeeeah!  Also, as I thought, I needed my stronger clamps in order to close my first forearm. So here's a pic for today (I feel like the pics are almost the same from one day to another)"

018.%20Final%20biceps%20and%20a%20forear

I'm waiting for a few things in the mail:  Blaster decals (scope and ammo counter), fan system from Echo, garter belt, throat mic, hovi mics, and my big order from TrooperBay that I need to work on my bucket (yes... I finally use the word 'bucket' instead of helmet).

So I'll work on the legs and torso soon. These scare me more than the arms to be honest  :huh:   We'll see.

Cheers!

Hi everyone!  I'm back...

This was a quiet weekend but I'll try to do more progress from now on.

I completely finished my first forearm (only need to put the snaps inside).  I also closed up the 2nd forearm tonight (I'll add the final outer strip tomorrow night). Again, lots of magnets and strong clamps because I had to force it into place.  I noticed that the general shape of the forearms is somewhat oval. So it's kind of weird (and tight) when I try to pass my hand through them. Perhaps there's a way to force them to be more round. I'll see.

019.%20Finishing%20forearms_zps4aq0ttrn.

Edited by Somatophylax
  • Like 1

Hello troopers!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  Damn magnets!  Why did I buy so few?  Calm down now... I have twice more in the mail heading for me. That will help.

So, I did what I could tonight. I glued the final outer strip of my 2nd forearm. That will free up some magnets tomorrow. I started installing snaps inside the biceps. I assembled my dropboxes. And I made a bunch of snaps for next time (I know I'll need more... but it's getting late to make noise with the hammer in my apartment).

020%20Various%20stuff_zpsdfj2mxmf.jpg

For the dropboxes, I used MechaPumpkin's idea and installed some heavy-duty velcro inside the outer box, and on the edge and outside of the inner box. It will make an effective pair of wallets for my TK belt. I put enough elastic to be able to attach the boxes around the belt. But I might just cut them short and put a snap instead.

021.%20Dropboxes_zpsjhkjahkh.jpg

Good night everyone  :smiley-sw013:

Edited by Somatophylax
  • Like 1

Hello troopers!

Nice little load today.  Now that the arm pieces are assembled, it freed up some magnets for me to use. I still think that the forearms' oval shape is kind of annoying. But I don't know what I can do about that right now. Oh well... let's build!  I first decided to make a small batch of double-snaps for the interior of the arm pieces. I want the full arm assemblies to hold well so I figured I'd try double-snaps.

022.%20Double%20snaps_zpsfkukuzsk.jpg

Then I took my measurements (and watched some treads and a video about where the forearm-to-bicep attachment is supposed to go. And so I glued the double-snaps in both forearms and both biceps.

023a.%20Bicep%20interior%20snap_zpsgmp90023.%20Forearms%20with%20interior%20snap

I decided to wait before putting some in the shoulder bells because I want to make sure how high (or how near/far from the bottom of the shoulder bells) I need to put them. So I'll check it out tomorrow.  I'm excited at the prospect of having full arm assemblies by the end of the week.  :lol:

I started to look at the chest/back connexion. I taped them to see what to expect, but being alone, it's not easy to figure out. I need a second pair of eyes. (Yeah right... now I complain about being single.... pfft!). So I'll wait.

Before closing for the evening, I gave a base coat of grey to the tube that will become the thermal detonator.

024.%20Thermal%20detonator%20base%20coat

Good night everyone!

May the Force be with them!  Because, you know... we're the Empire. We don't need that  ;)