SDS Battle spec armour and paint.

Hey all, 

Im looking to black the interior of my helmet (yes i know its not canon etc,) I just think it looks cheap as hell inside out of the box,

Ive already read some of the threads about painting helmets etc and ive got myself some truck bed liner spray, Ive tested it on a bit of plastic and the finish is nice,

Anyone with experience of this could tell me/advise me:

1, does the paint affect adhesion for things like velcro pads etc? (the finish is slightly textured)

2, does blacking the interior change the colour of the helmet on the outside?

The other thing, my armour is made from Satin finish ABS (its not as shiny as the acrylic capped abs, and not as expensive!!) 

Not that its an issue but i thought whilst ive got it all in bits, I have some universal clear Lacquer that i had for my motorbike, was thinking of spraying that on, but im not sure if it will go too shiny! just a thought at the mo, armour looks good as it is. Anyone had any experience with this sorta thing?

Sorry for the question bombardment!!! 

1, does the paint affect adhesion for things like velcro pads etc? (the finish is slightly textured)

Yes, it can reduce adhesion.  The "peel off" side of the velcro should be placed onto a smooth surface ideally.  Textured or rubbery is not ideal.

Does it affect the outside color of the helmet?

I don't know the material of an SDS, but the blackened inside didn't affect the outside of a1.5 mm Troopermaster helmet.

I don't think painting your helmet on the inside affects the outside look at all, assuming there's no light source inside the helmet. Painting black on the inside is just for the look of the inside.

I'd be very hesitant about using a lacquer coat to shine ABS. From what I've read there's a possibility that at least lacquer thinner which may be in the paint can cause ABS to melt or go brittle over time.

A better alternative to shine ABS would be to use a plastic polish like NOVUS.

I just finished painting the inside of my bucket Flat Black. I have an ABS bucket from ATA and it worked perfectly. The ABS is thick enough that the black does not affect the external color AT ALL.

the inside of the bucket is completely up to the owner, you may do anything inside you like.

The plastidip doesn't affect the color on the outside...at least on ATA, AM, AP, MTK armor.  Also, it doesn't affect the adhesiveness of the interior if you need to apply velcro and such.  However, if you want to remove a velcro strip already on the plastidip coating, you'll have to remove it carefully because it will peel off with the velcro adhesive.  But, you can always repaint that section if it does come off.

I've had to remove velcro strips inside my bucket and some of the plastidip came off with the adhesive.  I just put another coat of plastidip where it peeled off....no biggie.

Thanks for the replies guys, some things to think about, I think ill go ahead with the Blacking of the inside of my bucket, I tried a little of the lacquer on some spare cuts of ABS i had, it deffo shines up but i dont want my armour to fall and shatter over time!! Ill look into plastic polishes in the future!

Now to just take this helmet apart without buggering it up! :)