ESB frown painting between the teeth

bpoodoo

A striking and distinguishing trait an ESB helmet has compared to the ANH helmet is the ESB's black frown.  Visually it matches the more silent, ominous, strictly-business attitude of the ESB troopers.

I'm working on my first ESB helmet, and I wanted to be sure to highlight this feature, but I may have overdone it and violated the CRL for tk_esb which states:  "Frown is painted black and does not leave the teeth area."

I painted not just the teeth black but also some in the area between the teeth too, typically starting at a depth halfway behind the front of the tooth line to the back.  Each tooth still appears distinct, and the frown area is darkened more generally, without using a frown mesh.  The screen-used "patch" helmet has some black paint between the teeth on its left bottom side of the frown:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/image/2030-2020-0001c/

Am I interpreting the CRL correctly that the space between the teeth is not part of the "teeth area" and therefore not allowed for basic approval?  Not trying to stir up a CRL debate, but would like clarification.

Thanks!

B. Poodoo

• Like 1

It means that the frown should not look like the ROTJ frown. Just like a ANH frown but black.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sure here's a pic.  From a distance and from normal viewing angles it's not noticeable.  It is visible from closeup high or low vertical angles.  It's not the broad ROTJ-style, but it's not strictly ANH-style either.

IMG_8973_zps56zjvkkm.thumb.jpg.030d66b18d973fa73f10977904223ab1.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I want to be sure it will be OK.  I will remove the black paint between the teeth such that it's like ANH frown except painted black (I'm using Humbrol 85).

I'm curious whether it will change the look.   If I don't notice the black now between the teeth, then it shouldn't look different.  On the other hand, perhaps the reason I don't notice it is because it's black.

Time to break out the mineral spirits and lint-free cloth!

• Like 1