Joblesspunk's Ap Stormtrooper Build

JoblessPunk

Hey All,

Last update for the weekend, 

Finished my ammo belt, I cut one of the snap covers a bit wonky, so I ordered a replacement set, but besides that its done  ^_^

Here's some photos:

WCYy3tH.jpg

EefVUwC.jpg

Er2ba23.jpg

zGfnsFQ.jpg

he9puJK.jpg

Also, finished painting the ab buttons. I was planing on using my air brush, but the masking tape circle cut outs were not as clean as I hoped… so back to the good old paint brush. 

TCGmwjc.jpg

That it for now! 

My to-do list keeps getting smaller and smaller :)

Here’s what I have left to do:

1.) Bicep elastic 

2.) Install 6 left side rivets 

3.) Cod and butt plate rivit / snap plates 

4.) Glue shoulder bridges 

5.) Glue ab button plates on

6.) Glue belt snap covers on

7.) Rivet Thigh Pack onto thigh

8.) Attached D-Ring to Blaster  

9.) Build thermal detonator (BIG to-do)

Edited by JoblessPunk

Looks good! Well done.

When you snap your belt to the abdominal plate, make sure the drop boxes elastics are placed on the outside of the ab snaps so they line up good with the ends of the ammo belt. On your pics, i believe the right/hand drop boxe is on the wrong side of the snap.

Also, you might want to size down your biceps at one point, they're quite roomy right now ;) .

• Like 1

Looks good! Well done.

When you snap your belt to the abdominal plate, make sure the drop boxes elastics are placed on the outside of the ab snaps so they line up good with the ends of the ammo belt. On your pics, i believe the right/hand drop boxe is on the wrong side of the snap.

Also, you might want to size down your biceps at one point, they're quite roomy right now ;) .

Phew! Thank you! 

Attaching the white canvas belt to the ab plate was super nerve-racking. I had to line it up a million times to be level. Just like every part of the Stormtrooper armor, nothing is straight, and that truly was driving me crazy! In the end, my goal was to get my belt level and have the ab plate just fall where it sat. It felt sooo wrong when building it, but now that its mounted, to me it looks like its in the right place, and I feel a ton better now that its done. And yep, I think you are right, in the photos my right side drop box is on the wrong side of the snap. I'll definitely make sure to have it correct from now on ;)

Also, thank you for pointing out my biceps, all and any advice is helpful.

I’m quite a skinny dude, and I totally will have to go back and make my biceps and thighs a bit more tight fitting. I actually use your build thread as my #1 source since it looks like we are similar body types.  ;)

Anyways, yep, adjustments, adjustments, adjustments are going to be never ending it seems. Once I get the whole armor complete I will definitely go back and fix a few things to make it fit my body type a bit better. 

Thank you! 

Edited by JoblessPunk

Tuesday update! 

Workin’ on my to-do list!

Installed the 6 rivets:

gmLZeES.jpg

OaAx4EL.jpg

*Only messed up the paint on 1 of the 6 rivets. Luckily it was the one that is covered by the belt, plus, it was easy to touch up the paint  ^_^

Installed the 2 snaps on the butt plate:

2JlpwRI.jpg

Rivets on the thigh pack:

nvOKfzQ.jpg

rCZIQhz.jpg

Worked on the Thermal Detonator: 

jVIPEOA.jpg

M7FLO8u.jpg

To-Do List:

1.) Bicep elastic 

3.) Cod Rivet and butt plate snap plates 

8.) Attach D-Ring to Blaster  

10.) Adjustments: Fit biceps and thighs a bit more to my body. 

Thats about it for today!

But I do have 1 question:

What are the correct Thermal Detonator screws? and where do I buy them?

So far so good!

For the TD, the screws are: black slotted pan head screws, such as these http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Slotted-Thread-Length-Threaded/dp/B00F3304S2

However, i don't remember what should be the size of the head. I guess you can just estimate it by comparing it with the clips width.

med_gallery_12157_51_16672.jpg

So far so good!

For the TD, the screws are: black slotted pan head screws, such as these http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Slotted-Thread-Length-Threaded/dp/B00F3304S2

However, i don't remember what should be the size of the head. I guess you can just estimate it by comparing it with the clips width.

Or head over to your local Ace Hardware, 235 Park Rd Burlingame. and pick up 4 for abut .50, instead of a pack of 100.

Judging by the pictures I would say the head is 3/16" or 4mm.

Of course. I posted the Amazon link just for additional visual reference. 4mm seems a bit small to me though, i would rather go for something slightly bigger like 6mm (1/4").

Edited by The5thHorseman

Wednesday Update!

Still checkin’ things off my to-do list  ^_^

Heat bent shoulder bridges:

GDlZjGC.jpg

Glued shoulder bridges onto breastplate:

7QFw03R.jpg

Installed snap on side right side of ab plate:

IzIYQHz.jpg

Installed rivet on cod plate:

JKk1yZx.jpg

Glued end caps onto thermal detonator:

qmPgqoy.jpg

Glued control panel onto tube:

XLKM66B.jpg

Installed and panted D ring onto blaster:

idl3FVg.jpg

Thats it for today! 

To-Do List:

1.) Shoulder/Bicep elastic 

3.) Cod Rivet and butt plate snap plates 

8.) Attach D-Ring to Blaster  

10.) Adjustments: Fit biceps and thighs a bit more to my body. 

Thursday update!

Finished the shoulder bridges with white elastic holding them down in the back:

1J5aduk.jpg

A3a9K3D.jpg

Glued ab button plates on:

4VEVgUE.jpg

Finished Thermal Detonator:

KmGLtH2.jpg

wOAPnXj.jpg

Trimmed my thighs down a bit:

YVWQHdk.jpg

All thats left in my to-do list:

2.) Glue belt snap covers on

3.) Fit biceps a bit more to my body

I’m waiting for a packages to arrive in the mail for tasks 1 & 2. Once they come and I complete the tasks 1-3 I should be 100% done!!  :smiley-sw013:

Edited by JoblessPunk
  • Like 1

Looking great Tim. Judging by the quality of your build it looks like your shooting for Centurion. Let me suggest something. Though it may not matter for EIB, it may get brought up for Cent so lets address it now. Your TD clips, you may want to consider re-positioning your upper screws ....

JP.jpg

.... to match that of the canon TD as seen here

gallery_12157_51_33329_1.jpg

Keep up the awesome work.  :jc_doublethumbup:

Looking great Tim. Judging by the quality of your build it looks like your shooting for Centurion. Let me suggest something. Though it may not matter for EIB, it may get brought up for Cent so lets address it now. Your TD clips, you may want to consider re-positioning your upper screws ....

Thank you! 

I see exactly what you are requesting and I am 100% down to fix if it will interfere with Centurion approval. 

Although, are these screws always in the same place on the TD? 

The only reason I bring it up is because I purchased these TD clips from a 501st member here on the FISD in our Ongoing Sales & Project Orders section. 

Here’s his pinned sale thread:

FS: Evilboy's Screen Accurate TD Belt Clips

His thread says “screen accurate†and is pinned, so I assumed using his TD clips would be the best. 

Please understand, I’m ok with purchasing a new set from EvilBoy with the requested changes, but I just want to make sure it is necessary before reaching out to him. 

Thank you again for everything, any and all suggestions help  ^_^

Unfortunately for you, yes the screws are always set that way on the originals. But let's be clear, the positioning of these screws will not prevent you from reaching Centurion, however i agree with Tony that itt would be a good thing to fix it. 

Regarding Evilboy's thread title, some people write "screen-accurate" only for buyers to feel more confident in purchasing their items, whether this "screen-accurate" statement is right or wrong :/. In the end, it comes down to you to check if everything is indeed accurate.

Also, instead of buying new clips, you can always cut the excess of aluminium above the holes with a hacksaw or dremel (cutting aluminium isn't that hard). Then you will just need to unglue the detonator panel and reglue it back into the correct position ;).

Edited by The5thHorseman

Unfortunately for you, yes the screws are always set that way on the originals. But let's be clear, the positioning of these screws will not prevent you from reaching Centurion, however i agree with Tony that itt would be a good thing to fix it. 

Regarding Evilboy's thread title, some people write "screen-accurate" only for buyers to feel more confident in purchasing their items, whether this "screen-accurate" statement is right or wrong :/. In the end, it comes down to you to check if everything is indeed accurate.

Also, instead of buying new clips, you can always cut the excess of aluminium above the holes with a hacksaw or dremel (cutting aluminium isn't that hard). Then you will just need to unglue the detonator panel and reglue it back into the correct position ;).

Thank you again both of you, bummer that the clips were a bit misleading, but it was my mistake not to research a bit more about them  ^_^

I like your idea of cutting down the excess aluminum and shifting the TD clips up, I think thats the best option for me. 

Even though it doesn't seem to effect Centurion approval, tonight I'll take a hacksaw them and fix this problem. 

Friday update!

I bought my trooping case a while back, but this morning I brought it to Bob’s Foam Factory to get some foam around the edges. They did an amazing job and the price was quite reasonable:

uX3TVFh.jpg

Fixed the TD aluminum belt clips:

KEdQieX.jpg

*Thank you ukswrath for pointing out the error and The5thHorseman for the suggestion on how to fix it  :)

Trimmed down my biceps:

nA84ipG.jpg

*I'll finish gluing them tomorrow. 

Thats it for tonight, I’m still waiting on 2 packages for #1-2 to-dos, so my next update will probably be once I receive the packages  ^_^

To-Do List:

2.) Glue belt snap covers on

Monday update!

I received 1 of the 2 packages  ^_^

Glued straps on my shoulder bells:

VJkx1lM.jpg

I also spent some time tetrising all my armor in my trooping case:

IztDNjS.jpg

Just waiting on my replacement ammo belt snap covers, once I get them glued in I should be all set!  :smiley-sw013:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

I received my ammo belt caps! 

No3S0Gp.jpg

fcQBPXJ.jpg

At this point I think I’m 100% done! 

Questions:

1 - On Friday, I will be going to my friends house to take nice 501st, GGG, EIB, and Centurion photos. Is there ANYTHING you guys would like to see before I take these photos? Anything I’m missing? Any detail you guys would like to see? 

2 - Joining 501st / GGG.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I first apply here for 501st:

http://www.501st.com/members/join_form.php

and then for the GGG follow the instructions here:

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4981

Is that correct? 

thank you! I can’t wait! 

• Like 1

Questions:

1 - On Friday, I will be going to my friends house to take nice 501st, GGG, EIB, and Centurion photos. Is there ANYTHING you guys would like to see before I take these photos? Anything I’m missing? Any detail you guys would like to see? 

2 - Joining 501st / GGG.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I first apply here for 501st:

http://www.501st.com/members/join_form.php

and then for the GGG follow the instructions here:

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4981

Is that correct? 

thank you! I can’t wait! 

1) Sign up with the GGG

2) Submit your completed armor photos the the GGG. We'll contact the 501st and give them your approval.

3) 501st will contact you and ask you to select a TK#. Done! You're 501st approved

4) Apply for EIB & Centurion in that order, if you so desire.

:jc_doublethumbup:

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

1) Sign up with the GGG

2) Submit your completed armor photos the the GGG. We'll contact the 501st and give them your approval.

3) 501st will contact you and ask you to select a TK#. Done! You're 501st approved

4) Apply for EIB & Centurion in that order, if you so desire.

:jc_doublethumbup:

Thanks you!  ^_^