ROTJ armor question

I saw somewhere some pics comparing the New Hope stormtrooper to the ROTJ one. For some reason, ROTJ version appealed to me. Shorter shoulders was the first thing that caught my eye. . I'm sure I missed a ton of other differences, but my question is this:

Is the base armor set all the same? Modified for one or the other trooper? Or is there a specific armor set for the ROTJ version?

New guy, just on the research portion of things for now.

Thanks!

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

First, welcome aboard!

The ROTJ armor has some diffrence with the ANH and ESB. ESB used the old armors from ANH with some little modification.

ROTJ, they pretty much recasted an old armor and started from there.

As I'm not a ROTJ armor expert, I suggest you look at Sskunky at CFO armor for the best ROTJ armor.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_rotjThere were Many differences.

For the exception of AP, only CFO is really capable of being made into ROTJ armor out of the box without major mod work. Mainly because ANH and ESB armor had the butt plate separate from the kidney plate and RotJ was one piece. The clamshell parts like biceps, forearms, thighs and shins all had overlapping at the seams rather than butt joints and cover strips. The waist belt is a little different in its final state, the belt material is different, there is a white trimpiece around the edges of the torso parts, the details on the helmet are different.

I would suggest you take a look at the CRL link above as well as check out threads on sskunkys armor here. The differences are there and need to be followed if you are going to shoot for higher accuracy levels in your build.

• Like 1

I agree with BJ;it's pretty cool being different(it's also really easy to find yourself in group shots!)

The one piece butt/kidney isn't uncomfortable,at least in my case, but it can look pretty bad depending on your pose.Hunched over,in a firing pose, mine has a habit of sticking straight out at a weird angle.(it also doesn't help that I have a fat butt!) You can sort of see what I mean in this pic:

SjXbd0w.jpg

Glad to see the 'ugly stepchild' of the TK family getting some more love.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

Hey Mike, like you I've spend considerable time figuring out my path.  Its been hours and hours reading the forums for me to come to a conclusion.  In the end it came down to liking the black frown with some of the ANH origins and British Stirling that made me go ESB.  I think if you research, weigh your options and go with your heart you'll get it sorted.

Like yourself I'm still learning about all these differences. I kind of jumped the gun and purchased a CFO ROTJ suit a few months ago. While I still love the suit. I might have gone a different direction knowing what I know now. Not only does the suit have its differences, but so does the blaster. I'm finding it quite difficult to find everything I need to build my blaster keeping it as accurate as possible but with real metal parts.

I like your picture by the way! That isn't you by chance is it? I noticed the Michigan trooper in last weeks Utah vs. Michigan game. I'm going to try and do something similar but Utah Utes inspired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too am finding a crap load of info, tips, and tricks on here. When I first decided that I wanted a stormtrooper suit, I had no idea there were several types of armor. Some I have learned there are no less than a dozen. 1/2 of which I guess are junk and nothing more than cheap knock offs. I Definitly didn't want to go that route. Then I find out some people actually build thier own helmets. This appeals to me greatly. I have seen several build of varying types on you tube and else where. My final decision had been to create my own A NH Stunt helmet to go with the sand trooper armour build I'm planning. Does anybody have any advice on how's to proceed, buy a kit somewhere, make onefrom scratch? Or what? Kinda really lookin forward to diving in but I know I want to go slow so I don't screw it up. Id like my first build to be as flawless as possible.