ABS vs PVC?

I just ordered a suit from RS Prop masters.  They said I could get it in PVC or ABS.  What are the pros and cons? They said the PVC has more of a high gloss finish, where as the ABS has a dull look.  What is better?

You can get super high gloss ABS aswell, plastic manufactures can custom make plastic in whatever level of sheen and color hue you prefer, well mine does anyways. To answer your question go ABS way more durable but not sure why they use dull finish, the original suit were gloss abs

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

I just ordered a suit from RS Prop masters.  They said I could get it in PVC or ABS.  What are the pros and cons? They said the PVC has more of a high gloss finish, where as the ABS has a dull look.  What is better?

The ABS they use isn't dull. It is shiney, it's just not as WHITE as the PVC suits. The PVC suits are like gloss white. The ABS suits are white, but just a slightly offshade.

I think the ABS and PVC are probably about the same as far as durability.

If you want the high gloss on an ABS suit, just get out the plastic polish and polish it up, it looks fantastic afterwards.

1.5mm ABS was used in the movies.

Cool, thanks for the input!  Where do you get plastic polish? Will it harm the suit at all?

Most people use Novus polish, to shine it you'll use Novus #1. #2, and #3 are for removing scratches.

However, any standard polish spray made for plastics will work and it doesn't harm the suit.

Most people use Novus polish, to shine it you'll use Novus #1. #2, and #3 are for removing scratches.

However, any standard polish spray made for plastics will work and it doesn't harm the suit.

From what i've heard, people use Novus #2 to polish them.