Templar's 2007 ANH Build

Templar726

A storage unit sell had a box labeled Storm Trooper on it so I bought it. Took it home and opened it and yep it was bubble wrapped ABS armor. Box label said it was shipped in 2007 from Hollywood F/X. No instructions, no helmet, just some shiny white armor. Having just got back from Star Wars Weekends in Orlando and seeing the 501st march I was pretty excited. That and my wife had bought me the custom Trooper figure from Darth's Mall with my head on the armor. How can I look at that all day at work and not build my own? 

I did a lot of trimming and building before I found FISD and applied for Cadet Status with my Georgia 501st. I wish I had found you guys a little earlier but at least I will have your advice on my next build!

Well here is my first try at some shiny white armor. I dedicate the build to Mini Trooper Me!

15011509912_8bac617210_z.jpg

Edited by Templar726

Here is the armor unloaded from the box with a few items from a small bag included. Bag had elastic straps and Velcro as well as two bottles of ABS polish. Not really sure what I have here but I know there are no strips for the seams. It is all fold over connections.

post-21484-0-81054500-1408761321_thumb.jpg

After some research I decided the most important thing was to build a life size ME to put the armor on as I built it. Duct tape dummy project was a little odd. I have covered my face in this picture to protect me from possible stalkers...

15011878185_013b7d72a5_c.jpg

post-21484-0-74301100-1408761648_thumb.jpg

Edited by Templar726

Shoulder and forearms were already trimmed. I cut small pieces of ABS and punched snaps through them and built the inner snap system like I have seen on other builds. They seem to hang together at a nice level and I heated a small piece to make a hook to grab the forearm strap. When I was wearing it they kept rotating. You will see that on my shoulder connector there are two snaps. The second one holds the shoulder up closer to the bridge and looks better. Looks sloppy from the inside but looks OK from outside.

post-21484-0-91950500-1408764571_thumb.jpg

OK I need some input here. I went all strap building crazy before I read much. Do the inner straps at the shoulder have to be white? I was thinking black looks better because you cant see them against the under suit. Switching them out for white would be no problem but if black works I will keep them the same. I am planning on trying to join my Georgia 501st so any advice is more than welcome. I will add the little plastic wrap around strap to hold the bridge firm. Front is glued and back is floating with just velcro right now. Here is the inside. I added a black side strap to hold it all in place. It is high enough you can't see it against the under suit. I hope.

post-21484-0-13791400-1408765101_thumb.jpg

Charles 2.0 with Bennie Beard and chest and shoulders. It all seems to be hanging correctly. He does not have on the slick under suit just some black cotton so it is a little bulky but overall I think it is OK so far.

post-21484-0-49791800-1408765338_thumb.jpg

The belt. I heated it and bent it using the paint stir stick method. Added female snaps on the back and matched them up with snaps on the canvas belt. Canvas belt attached with snaps to the armor. My only concern was that the canvas belt hangs down over the butt plate. I had to run Velcro around the edge to hold it up. Hope this works. I did separate the butt from the kidney plate and used big pieces of Velcro. I just left the smooth glossy side facing in and did not peel it off. aAgain, looks kinda jacked up on the inside but from the outside it looks cool.

post-21484-0-99230700-1408767755_thumb.jpg

Inside straps. I joined the whole section using splints. My plan is to slice one side straight down and use flex strap to hold it closed. The other side will stay solid and I plan on putting in the rivets from the screenshots if I can find the right size. Every hardware store I go to does not have them. If any body has a good suggestion I am all ears.

post-21484-0-92400400-1408767974_thumb.jpg  

That looks just like my first set of armor.  With some work, that set can be made into a nice set of armor.  I would recommend TM or RS Props for the helmet.

Thanks. I will look them up.

Holster attached. I think it is close to where it should be. Now do I paint the rivets to match the belt? Can't really tell from screenshots plus I'm colorblind.

14825266608_ebe57a7c57_o.jpg

Edited by Templar726

It appears that you did separate the kidney and butt plate?  I wouldn't use that sticky velcro on that piece... it is almost guaranteed to lose the plastic backing and then start sticking to your undersuit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you have some flat spare ABS in the top right of your parts picture.  If so, that is what should be used for the cover strips.  If it's not, you can get cover strip material from someone like Trooperbay.

It appears that you did separate the kidney and butt plate?  I wouldn't use that sticky velcro on that piece... it is almost guaranteed to lose the plastic backing and then start sticking to your undersuit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you have some flat spare ABS in the top right of your parts picture.  If so, that is what should be used for the cover strips.  If it's not, you can get cover strip material from someone like Trooperbay.

bzb

Thank you sir. I am going to figure out a better way than the Velcro setup. As you said it would it has started to peel from all of my trying it on to size. I will use the two pieces on the armor but join them with an elastic band.

OK, here is the armor so far on Charles 2.0. Please ignore the helmet and boots. Boots are bathroom stall place holders and bucket is a cheap Rubbies just for the display. That helmet sucks.

15011525072_597015292f_m.jpg

In case you were wondering what bathroom stall place holder boots are they are simply old boots, I attach some cut off work pants, then place them in the bathroom across the hall from my office. They effectively turn away all potential users. Its like having your own private bathroom. Trickery trickery!!                                                                 

15011879725_64376a5ef2_b.jpg14825242200_41ee4400e5_b.jpg

The thighs from the front. Used the overlap because that is how they were constructed. Sure wish it was a better suit of armor but it's my first and I had no clue as to what I was buying. I really plan on going with something better the second time around. At least the bucket I am going to built will be a quality kit.

15008828091_ec66cca835_b.jpg

The sniper knee gave me fits! Every time I got it together and tried it on it would impact my knee and upper thigh armor. I decided to reattach and tilt it more forward. This works as far as fit and no snags but it looks a little wompy and does not line up perfect. I am afraid it will have to stay like this so I can troop in it. Is this to crappy to keep like this or can I slide by? If you think this side looks bad wait till you see the other....

15008810641_608d332b14_b.jpg

One of my two major screw ups. When I had to adjust the sniper knee forward I had to remove the rivet that looked so good painted white. After some cussing and pounding I got it out and re riveted. Now I have a big ole hole...Not so good. My plan is to use Tamiya Putty white to fill in the hole, let it dry, and touch up with some paint. Is this acceptable for a repair?

15008809251_991cba249f_b.jpg

Forearms went together pretty good. Overlay method with Velcro on one side. Put padding inside to hold em snug. I do have one question about trimming the ends. See next post. 

15011511352_a378b3a7ed_b.jpg

Should I cut this on a straight line right here or leave as is. I have tried to look at other builds but I am not sure what to do. The other end is flush and looks good.

14825350917_360fb2756a_b.jpg

Thermal Detonator (TD). Used a piece of electrical PVC that was pretty close to the specs and attached the pieces from my kit after spray painting the tube section. I drilled in to belt clips to hold it on the canvas belt. I also added a snap in the center of the canvas belt and then attached the other end of the snap directly to the armor. My hope is the TD will not pull down or sag the belt. It is a heavy rascal. The clips are off of two garage door opener remotes. I am not a master of metal bending but may reattach some better looking clips in the future. Or go comlink grappling hook?

14825275290_379bcc8d73_b.jpg

Clips. I figure the screws and clips will be hidden when trooping. Just the tops above the TD will show. I will get a pic of them on the suit to show how they hang. 

14825380787_28b272f03c_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

AP helmet just came in to replace piece of junk Rubbies place holder. I will be converting the Rubbies into a Mickey Ears party trooper bucket. This AP helmet is awesome. Kinda snug going on but looks great. Next steps switching out the mic tips and adding inner mesh in back of frown. Then it is padding, chin strap, Rom/FX installation and a couple of fans, This part is going to be fun.

15007072280_385be63803_c.jpg