Broken Hasbro E-11 LED

I was too rough with my blaster during drilling and cutting the scope rail and nozzle. Now I'm wondering how hard it'd be to replace the LED or if I'd have to gut the whole thing to do so. I live near Disneyland so it's only $24 and a pleasant drive to just replace the whole thing and start over :P If I'm customizing the electronics, I'd rather have a different sound scheme. All I want is a single "screen"-accurate firing noise when I shoot along with it lighting up. I also saw Boba's gun that has a light-up barrel which I'd love to integrate into the e-11 like the AU version. I'm not experienced and would love some feedback from wiser beings about where to start. Thanks guys

Hey there Scott. I'm far from an electronics expert myself, but Fuumantroop recently did a Hasbro/Doopydoos conversion during which he replaced the LED and upgraded some of the electronics. That build might be a decent reference for you to take a look at:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27701-fuumantroops-hasbro-e-11-conversion/

I can't promise it will help, but take a look at it and hopefully it does! I don't think that this is anything too difficult to overcome/repair, and expect that you'll be able to do so. Good Luck!

I've read up on build threads which is what sparked my question: original electronics (because I merely snapped the top wire off the bulb which is an easy fix) OR crazy internal mods (because it wouldn't be much more work than fixing the original led connection)? Here's a photobucket link, best I can do right now:

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

oh wow, yea you need to buy a new light. Good news is that you didnt mess with the internal electronics. Just buy a new LED at Radioshack or whereever, then remove part of that green tape on both wires and solder the new light there.

Tim's advice is right with his thread on top. Click on fuumantroops' build and you can see the LED he used. The wires shown in the pic are red and black, but they are the exact same wires under the green tape.

Now, here is a tip: if you are not going to modify the gun and if you do not have a soldering iron and any accessories to solder, then (if you do live close to disneyland and can just go in and buy a gun) i suggest you just go buy a new gun. completely up to you. personally i opened the gun and updated the electronics and made modifications, but its up to you how much you want to put into it.

if time is not an issue for you, then i suggest trying to fix it yourself, that way you also make it better with a brighter and better LED light. Basic soldering kits can be bought for less than 15 bucks, solder for like 7 bucks.

hope this helps.

I just sent for a cheap soldering kit. Trip to Radio Shack is next. I've also read about resistors and/or having to bypass something when replacing the LED on some but not on others.

post-21204-0-58133100-1407349497_thumb.jpg

Do I have to watch out for anything other than the +/- connection points fu mentioned if I'm only replacing the bulb?

so the resisitor bypass can be easily seen on my thread on page 2. (Im sure there are other pics out there but i can reference mine quickest lol)

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27767-hasbro-e-11-blaster-conversion-from-miami/

the reason you want to bypass the resistor is to use the full voltage from the batteries. that way the LED shines to its full potental.

as far as connection points, you have the right idea. Just make sure you solder on side of the LED to the + and the other to the -. Since you are only doing one LED on the nozzle it should be very straight forward. Just use the two wires that are currently connected to the light it came with. Don't overthink it.

Good Luck!

Yup, replacement bulbs are easy to find at radio shack. Dont panic, its an easy fix as long as you can use a soldering iron.

As far as the bypass, that is all personal choice. Myself and a bunch of others did it, and I even went as far as replacing regular alkaline AA batteries with AA lithium ion batteries. It REALLY makes the sound louder, and the LEDs brighter. I did do the bypass before replacing the batteries, although I am not 100% sure that makes a difference.

Hope this helps! Theres about 3 or 4 of us who recently went through Hasbro conversions, so plenty of references to chose from

i would measure with a tester the voltage output to know if a resistor is needed to fit the led spechs

also pay attention on anode and cathode of led

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How exactly is a "bypass" done?

The bypass is for using the full voltage of your battery source. It creates another flow of +/- flow.

Basically it converts your circuit from being in series to being in parallel. This way you can also add multiple lights that still get the same amount of current.

Does this answer your question?