AM 2.0 build (ANH Stunt) by Rystan

Okay, more updates tonight....who needs sleep, there's trooping to be done.

Inspected the gluing on the cap and back:

As to be expected, everything came out great.  Nice and sturdy.

IMG_1913_zpsd746d6e1.jpg

Yup, that's my pepakura helmet that I started but ultimately decided that I wanted to have my armor finished before I die.   I'll probably finish resin'ing it some day and paint it and give it to the boy to beat on.

Started messing around with the fit of the faceplate:

IMG_1914_zps8605aa67.jpg

One of the other reasons for abandoning the pepakura idea was that I wasn't sure if was going to turn out the right size and through many builds on the RPF I knew it was going to take a LOT of work to get it even possibly 501st approved.   Like I said, abandoned dreams.

At this point I can already tell the left ear is going to be irksome.  We'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Up next, forearms:

IMG_1915_zps4f34d527.jpg

Trimmed the wrist return edges.  Definitely determined the Fiskars package opener won't fly for in-close precision cuts.  Oh well, it'll come in handy come Christmas opening Fort Knox kid toys.

On the outer/dimpled pieces...

IMG_1916_end_caps_zpsc68a61e4.jpg

When trimming the return edges on these pieces, do the dimple wall part circled above stay or go?  (Yes, they go, thanks Nick!)

I figured it was safer to leave them as I can cut them off if the answer is to remove them.

(I think I'm going to go back through my posts and color code questions I need answer to in green, cause for those who have been reading up to here...I like to type...)  And I'll likely do a question roll-up post soon to make getting answers easier. :)

Edited by Rystan

I bought a pair of these from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grease-Monkey-Neoprene-Large-Long-Cuff-Gloves-23403/202188317?N=5yc1vZc5r1Z12kx

They come about half-way up my forearms.  I just tuck the extra underneath my undersuit sleeve.  I also put my gloves on first, then pull my forearms over them.  I find this better for me because otherwise I'm having to stuff my gloves underneath the forearms, which never works out well.

For your belt, it's the bottom belt type with the bottom rivet covers that you do not have cut out yet.

Hi Ron, thanks!

I had already bought the surplus gloves before hearing about the Home Depot version.  I might still pick them up too, just to see which I like better...hard to argue with $4.

Thanks for the belt answer.  I was waiting to cut the rivet covers out until I was sure I needed those ones and making sure of size requirements.  

Oh and good luck on your EIB application...not that you'll need it...I followed your build pretty heavily waiting for my armor to arrive.

Edited by Rystan

No problem!  looking at original armor is intoxicating.

Yup, always been fascinated by the men in white.  Probably has a lot to do with the fact that this would have been me in May 1977:

Stormtrooper-Carrier-2.jpg

(not me, thanks Google images search)

Is TK Tupperware the same as Mighty Tank?  ust curious as I'm building TK Tupperware's AM kit and might have the same shin issue.

Yes they are the same. Send pic's of your shins to him if your not sure.

Hey Mike, how are you attaching the plastic for the buttons to the elastic? 

I haven't assembled any straps yet, but here's how I plan to do it.

IMG_1917_marked_up_zps75e7379d.jpg

IMG_1919_assembly_zpsf3f76227.jpg

Does that answer your question?

And yes, these are Star Wars/stormtrooper pajamas.

I haven't assembled any straps yet, but here's how I plan to do it.

IMG_1917_marked_up_zps75e7379d.jpg

IMG_1919_assembly_zpsf3f76227.jpg

Does that answer your question?

And yes, these are Star Wars/stormtrooper pajamas.

Yes that does. I thought you were going to try to E6000 it or something!

Edited by Shank_O_Potomus

Working on the forearms tonight some more...

First got rid of the return edge on the end of the forearm dimples left over from last night (Thanks Nick!) and taped them together:

IMG_1924_zpse5b79171.jpg

Made sure to test fit in various configurations.  Just arms; gloves on, no under suit; under suit, no gloves; and finally gloves & under suit, seen here:

IMG_1922_zps954893f3.jpg

So as I understand the process for trimming the sides of the pieces at this point goes something like this:

1) Measure the length of where the inner and outer pieces overlap.

2) Divide that in half to find out how much to take off the outer and inner pieces respectively.

So the measurements of my tape job came out as this:

IMG_1924_measured_overlap_zps4d61ef5e.jp

Seeing as the overlap is different between the top and the bottom, the question is this.  Do I:

A ) Remove 17.5 mm from the red sections & 27.5 mm from the blue halves.

or

B ) Since the over all ABS being removed is 55 mm + 35 mm, or 90 mm, remove 22.5 mm  ( 90 / 4 = 22.5) from all 4 sections to keep the proportions even.

or

C ) Remove some amount only from the blue side (which will ultimately be the side facing the front when the armor is being worn)  [i'm thinking 22.5 to be on the safe side...can always take more later).  Repeating the same process for the elbow end front only, get the inner & outer cover strips installed.  And THEN worry about the red/back side of the forearms (taking new measurments).

My gut (and memory of looking at other build threads) tells me that C is probably the best/safest/right answer.

I promise not to be this annoying for every armor piece, once I get the process down and through it once, this process will be smoother and more confidently performed.   :D

From the much-further-down-the-road department, my thought for dealing with the forearm/wrist/gloves when putting on/wearing them is that I'm likely going to leave the gloves inside the forearms and put the entire ensemble on as one unit.   I'm thinking it might even make sense to affix velcro along top and bottom of the glove wrists and inside the forearm armor to keep everything sitting snug and in place.  Has that worked for anyone else?

You don't need to add that extra ABS plastic in-between the folded elastic.  Just folding it over is enough.  I used a cheap soldering iron to burn the hole into the elastic for the snaps.

I'd like to give you some advice on how to proceed with your cuts, but for my kit, I had raised edges on the front cover strips, so I knew exactly how much to have on each side (7.5mm), and laid down the 15mm cover strip.  The measuring / fitting / cutting I had to do was only for the rear cover strip, which I overlapped the extra, found the mid-point across from the front's cut, and that told me where my cut lines should be.

I am not sure how you determine where to cut for the front cover strip when there isn't any mold indicator.

I see your dilemma, it sure looks like  you have 2 left legs.  All 4 parts of the shins I have, are different. Yours look identical.

Let me see what I can find out.

Nick

I haven't really looked at my shins since I've been working on my bucket need to check this weekend when I have time

Make the wrist opening just big enough to get your hand through without gloves on.  As far as the cuts  you will be tapering the forearm to the wrist, make the elbow end large enough to bend your arm with a little play in it.

You don't need to add that extra ABS plastic in-between the folded elastic.  Just folding it over is enough.  I used a cheap soldering iron to burn the hole into the elastic for the snaps.

I'd like to give you some advice on how to proceed with your cuts, but for my kit, I had raised edges on the front cover strips, so I knew exactly how much to have on each side (7.5mm), and laid down the 15mm cover strip.  The measuring / fitting / cutting I had to do was only for the rear cover strip, which I overlapped the extra, found the mid-point across from the front's cut, and that told me where my cut lines should be.

I am not sure how you determine where to cut for the front cover strip when there isn't any mold indicator.

Ron, thanks.  When I first started researching the AM armor, I was looking forward to the molding strips to make the initial trimming easier.   Without them, it makes it a little more complicated, but I think I'm up to the challenge. :)  Thanks for the help you've offered so far.  The breakdown you posted yesterday about your forearm build (on someone else's thread, Rick's or Ryan's I think) helped answer some questions.  So definitely continue to offer advice when you can.  I know all the AM newbies appreciate it.

I haven't really looked at my shins since I've been working on my bucket need to check this weekend when I have time

William, you'll want to check soon and if you've got the two left shins, let MightyTank know (include detailed pictures) so he can get you on the list for a new shin if needed.

Make the wrist opening just big enough to get your hand through without gloves on.  As far as the cuts  you will be tapering the forearm to the wrist, make the elbow end large enough to bend your arm with a little play in it.

Thanks again Nick for helping out.  If I make the wrist opening so that it's just big enough without the gloves on, how do I get the gloves on when trooping?  The rubber gloves I've got extend almost to my elbows and are fairly thick rubber.  The difference from what I can tell in what I'd be removing with our without the gloves is about a 10 mm swing in circumference.

Great build topic so far! Will continue to watch with great interest...best of luck!

Thanks Steve!  It's been a lot of fun so far, glad you're enjoying my documenting of the process.

Oh and yes, I did the elbow end measurements last night after posting the process I was considering and there will be slightly less removed at the elbow end and thus it will result in a tapered forearm narrower at the wrist and wider at the elbow.  Thanks again!

Ron, thanks.  When I first started researching the AM armor, I was looking forward to the molding strips to make the initial trimming easier.   Without them, it makes it a little more complicated, but I think I'm up to the challenge. :)  Thanks for the help you've offered so far.  The breakdown you posted yesterday about your forearm build (on someone else's thread, Rick's or Ryan's I think) helped answer some questions.  So definitely continue to offer advice when you can.  I know all the AM newbies appreciate it.

William, you'll want to check soon and if you've got the two left shins, let MightyTank know (include detailed pictures) so he can get you on the list for a new shin if needed.

Thanks again Nick for helping out.  If I make the wrist opening so that it's just big enough without the gloves on, how do I get the gloves on when trooping?  The rubber gloves I've got extend almost to my elbows and are fairly thick rubber.  The difference from what I can tell in what I'd be removing with our without the gloves is about a 10 mm swing in circumference.

Thanks Steve!  It's been a lot of fun so far, glad you're enjoying my documenting of the process.

I took pics of my shins and emailed them and yep I have 2 right shins

The gloves are the last thing you put on. Just tuck them inside the forearm and your good to go. Yeah taper the forearm to the wrist , slightly so it fits the profile of you limb.