ANH ear cap paint question

TK1491

Looking to find out the best way to paint the gray ear caps on my AP. Specifically, how to get that perfect black hairline around the edge. Marker? Really steady hand?

I realize they all weren't perfectly straight, I'm just looking to see what techniques others have used?

I used normal black electrical tape! Applied it on an extra sheet of abs. Then, I used an exacto to cut a straight line along the edge. Get that 1mm thin strip of tape off the abs and on the helmet. Done.

IMO, no need to buy anything you don't have :)

My technique for the ear caps is to paint the black out line first and then the grey. I use a fine tip brush and make the black line thicker than I want it, and work outwards, making sure I get it as straight as I can. Then when that's dried, I fill in with the grey. Again, working outwards carefully and going over some of the black until you have a nice, even black border.

It's actually pretty easy to do and no masking is needed (if you have a steady hand). Try making the black border smaller at first if you want to test your hand. You can always paint over it to the proper size and it will cover easily.

I use Humbrol #21 black gloss and #5 Admiralty Grey.