Velcro: Industrial Strength or Glue?

When using velcro on a TK -- e.g. putting velcro pads in the helmet or for the backs of the shins -- which is the better option: using the industrial stuff that already has an adhesive, or using the sew-in kind of velcro with an alternative adhesive such as E6000? I remember once wearing a helmet with velcro inside, and my head got so hot that the adhesive turned gummy and came loose. I don't want that kind of a mess in my bucket. Any good advice?

Second question, is there a consensus as far as gluing the mesh under the frown versus simply using white tape?

When using velcro on a TK -- e.g. putting velcro pads in the helmet or for the backs of the shins -- which is the better option: using the industrial stuff that already has an adhesive, or using the sew-in kind of velcro with an alternative adhesive such as E6000? I remember once wearing a helmet with velcro inside, and my head got so hot that the adhesive turned gummy and came loose. I don't want that kind of a mess in my bucket. Any good advice?

Second question, is there a consensus as far as gluing the mesh under the frown versus simply using white tape?

I used industrial velcro for shins. I have the clover shapped padding in my bucket that holds on it's own. So I do not use velcro inside the helmet.

As for the mesh, I simply used e-6000.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

As for the mouth frown: keep in mind this is something that was invented by the 501st. What you keep it adhered with is a matter of convenience. You want it secured. Any Velcro adhesive over time will lose it's capability of attaching...especially if you troop a lot. The Velcro can only take so much pulling apart. E6000 is a good option for this. You might even look into the metal closure hooks. They are an easy install and you really won't need to concern yourself with Velcro issues on your calves again. Hot glue is an option for keeping helmet padding in place but be careful NOT to apply the hot glue directly to the helmet.  It could melt it.

Helmet padding: I used e6000

Shins:  I used white industrial strength Velcro with adhesive already on it (I used this because I already had it).  I discovered that using CA glue (superglue) in conjunction with the Velcro that comes with adhesive already on works very well.

Teeth Mesh: I used e6000

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Sew on Velcro works great when attached with E-6000.  That's how my shins close and that is one of the things I have never had to repair. 

I've replaced the industrial strength adhesive backed velcro that keeps my belt from sagging and boots under my shins more than a few times.