First Build - ANH Stunt TK - TupperWareTK - MOD - NEED HELP!

Hi there,

This will be my first attempt at building armor. To start off, I'd like to thank everyone in this community for sharing your expertise and knowledge. I wouldn't have felt comfortable making my purchase without reading through hundreds of threads first.

I have met up with my local Fan Force, and met my local TK (there's only one who is currently active in my area.). I am VERY nervous to start cutting my armor. Let me start off by giving you my plan:

-I am 5'8" approximately 190lbs.  

-I have purchased a TupperWareTK Kit (which was a great buying experience)

-I have read through PandaTrooper's AM Build Thread, and plan to copy most of his techniques

-I have completed my Doopy Doo's E11 Blaster kit

-I am basically stalling at this point because I am scared

Here is my biggest problem....  I knowingly purchased a TupperWare TK NE Kit fully understanding that I am a bit short for that kit.  It is a beautiful kit, and I feel so lucky to have it.  I want to start carving it up to get that nice snug fit achieved by PandaTrooper. However, I am stuck on step 1. When I hold the forearm piece to my arm it becomes extremely obvious that it is too long for my arm. I am worried that if I cut too much off I will need to eliminate 1 of the 11 trenches in the forearm.  If I do eliminate 1 of the trenches will I compromise my ability to apply for TK status with the 501st? Also, if I cut 1 trench off is there a preferable end for me to cut?  Please help me if you can offer advise.  I really want a costume that will be worthy of the 501st.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-----------

This photo shows the forearm part resting on my arm.  If it remains untrimmed (in length) this will be the most I can bend my arm. Obviously, unacceptable....

Thanks!

Bobby

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Thank you so much for the quick reply!  Wow, I feel dumb!  I think your advice is right on!  When I rotate the part, it fits much better, and I probably will not need to cut it as much.

-----------

Much better!  Thanks!

I have one more silly question.  Have I identified these pieces properly?  With the right arm pieces on the right, and the left arm pieces on the left...

--------

I very much appreciate the advice!
Edited by gmrhodes13

I have an AP kit and I had to shorten my forearm by a full notch on both arms to prevent my pieces from locking up when I bent my arm. Just be sure that IF you require to do so, do it from the wrist end

Here is a great shot of how long the forearms can be on a trooper. I really wish my forearms fit this well, notice the elbow sits well into the forearm.

X6Mu1On.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

So, I got that great advice, and what did I do with it... Chicken out and start working on the hand guards.  

The NE kit comes with black elastic strapping so I used this as a starting point and I jumped right into my handguards. I actually have 2 sets of handguards for my ANH Stunt. The kit came with handguards, and I also purchased the white flexible handguards from Trooperbay.  I attached the plastic ABS handguards to the plastic strapping using heavy duty snaps.  I've seen other posts mentioning that snaps and elastic don't mix (the elastic stretches, and the snap slips through).  However, these elastic straps come with velco pre-sewn into them.  So, I used the velcro to help reinforce the snap.  Here are some pics....

---------------

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have small hands so this technique would allow me to modify the handguards later if I decide that they look too big in comparison to the rest of the armor.  I have ordered a heat sealing iron as described by Pandatrooper in his "creating a return edge" tutorial. So, that will need to wait either way.

I think for the flexible handguards I may try a technique that I have not seen before on FISD.  Last year I built an Iron Man Mark VI suit for Halloween, and the entire build (foam pepakura) was covered with Elmer's Glue before painting.  I might try this technique with the flexible hand guards and see what happens.  It requires 5-6 coats of glue before primer and paint, so no pic yet.  But, if it does work I'll be sure to post my results.  I'm thinking if it doesn't work the glue would just peel off in one sheet. So, there will be no harm done.

Wish me luck!
Edited by gmrhodes13