ryates' ANH Stunt Build [ATA]

ryates

I have been maintaining a build log on my local garrison academy site, but I thought I'd start one here as well. I have been working on an aluminum, wood and resin R2D2 build for a bit over a year and figured I can never have enough projects, right?

I just received my big ol' box of plastic so now is the time to get going. I know most people know what TK armor looks like, but here are some pics of my new ABS:

DSC_0192-Th.jpg DSC_0193-Th.jpg DSC_0194-Th.jpg DSC_0195-Th.jpg DSC_0196-Th.jpg

I finally grew the pair of courage to take a drill to the bucket and drill the holes to assemble the face and cap and back. My eyes are trimmed, but I haven't yet cut the teeth since I plan to take it apart when everything is assembled and shoot the inside black. I have started trimming ears, but overdid it a bit with my initial trim on the left side. Good thing ATA ships with spares!!!

DSC_0772-Th.jpg DSC_0774-Th.jpg DSC_0775-Th.jpg DSC_0773-Th.jpg

While I waited for my armor to ship, I have been collecting a few extra pieces: TrooperBay Dave M decals, Hyperfirm E11, Holster from TK2392, canvas belt from TKitell, Boots from TKBoots:

DSC_0197-Th.jpg DSC_0198-Th.jpg DSC_0777-Th.jpg DSC_0780-Th.jpg CA_11021220562813-Th.jpg

Edited by ryates

Thanks for the comments! While taking a break from ear-carving-induced frustration, I decided to work on my thermal detonator. I cut a 2" nominal PVC pipe down to 7.5", tapered the ends a bit with a belt sander, then shot it with Valspart gray primer. I then took some 1" x 1/16" aluminum strip, followed TKLeper's amazing tutorials, and bent up some clips. The shape is a bit off, but I'm pretty happy for my first attempt:

CA_03151319402991-Th.jpg DSC_0776-Th.jpg

Now on to a dilema. I started trimming and fitting the left forearm and am now realizing just how narrow TE-derived armor can be. I trimmed the top part of the forearm to 5/8" so it looks correct, but that left me with 1 1/4" of strip at the back!!! I intentionally left a bit of a return since I'm still in cut-paranoia mode, but the amount of shimming seems extreme. Should I add a slightly larger strip on the top to balance it out?

DSC_0790-S.jpg DSC_0791-S.jpg

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

-Rob