Filler

Tolo

Hello,

I have bough a used FX armor from a friend. When he had got the armor, he did not had alot of infos on building it, so, they are some rivets installed that are not suppose to be where they are.

Is there a plastic filler known to repair an armor?

Thank you for your help

Eric

Edited by Tolo

ABS paste is good, and a lot of guy use Bondo or white bonding putty of some kind, like white modeling putty. I would just be sure to use something that is WHITE or as white as you can get it, because Bondo usually comes out red/pink and then you have to paint on top of it, sand, paint, sand, etc. Ugh. Well, you're going to sand anyway but try to avoid the extra step. The white filler may not match the white of the plastic exactly, but it'll be a lot better than other stuff. If you can make ABS paste, try to use a plastic that matches the white of your armor. Ultimately that is your best bet.

• 2 months later...

My first set of TK armor was assembled using all rivets (hadn't heard of the 501st at that time).  I removed all of the rivets and filled the holes.  You cannot see the holes any longer.

Here's how it did it:

1.  glue a small tab to the underside of the rivet hole.

2.  Fill hole with Aqua Mend (used in fish tanks - can be found at amazon.com).  I like Aquamend because it it very easy to work with, and it sands nicely.

3.  Let dry and sand the hole with Aquamend.

4.  Cover the Aquamend with a small bit of ABS paste.  Sand with 1500 grit paper and shine with Novus. 

I can't find before/after pictures, but I'll keep looking.  I turned this set of armor to a Deathtrooper, so I don't know if I can get good pictures now.