New RT-Mod build ( aka "a walk through snap plate hell")

Ok time for me to start my TK build that is going for EIB. After Rob was able to get me my armor early the excitement built to fever pitch. Buying glue, looking for accessories, scaring the heck out of the dog with my bucket, ect. I hunkered down in the workshop that I stole from my sons playroom to start putting it together. First to make snap plates out of black strapping and industrial snaps....... A crap load of them! Cut, burn, punch out, hammer, cuss, repeat again and again. I've seen so many other build treads and have tried to count how many I need and I think I'm almost there. I'm going with Robs instructions on doing an overlap build and I should have some pics soon for your scrutiny on my progress. Although I'm still one holster short of a complete kit, so far I'm getting there.

Good on you Sam, have fun with the build. I'm in the middle of an RT-Mod build at the moment as well and enjoying it immensely, especially now that I'm over that "first cut anxiety".

Post up pic's as you go, I know I for one live vicariously though the builds here, especially when I've hit a snag. Sometimes it's all you need to see a hint or tip to push you over the edge to keep going.

Ah, snap plates. I think I ended up making ~50 or so, but buy more of the snaps than you think you need. During my build I would hammer it wrong or forget to put one of the two pieces on the strap & make both parts useless... I would also suggest making the webbing lengths a bit long so you will be able to cut them down to the length you need for where you're placing it. I made a few too short and those ended up being useless as well, since you want to keep the glue off of the metal snap if at all possible.

Have fun & look forward to seeing build progress!

Ya, it's all in fun! I can't be happier with how it's going. Well, with the exception of a few small hiccups and the need for a beer or two :) All my parts are glued together now I'm getting ready to start placing snap plates and fitting them to my chassis. Why do you not want to get glue on the metal of the snaps? Depending on the answer this might be a serious face/palm incident !!! I've already placed a couple of plates and I just put that infernal glue on the whole strap, snap and all. BTW even with all the treads I've read to get to this point I say again if you haven't delt with E6000 be prepared it gets EVERYWHERE !!! And yes, that first cut anxiety sucks. My armor layed on the floor for a couple of days before I got up the nerve to start, but once I got going it was all good!

Got to do a test fitting last night!!! Nothing like putting on your bucket on a full set of armor to get you motivated! Ran into a few fitting issues but nothing to bad ( I hope ) that I can't work on. If I could figure out how to post pics on this stupid computer I will so I can get some input from you guys.

Ok, here we go

DSCN2239.jpg

Rubber chemical gloves with latex hand guards

DSCN2238.jpg

Glued shoulder straps that float in the rear

DSCN2235.jpg

Sniper plate with no visible rivits

DSCN2232.jpg

Bucket off. I still need to paint the ab buttons and install thigh ammo belt

DSCN2228.jpg

Bucket on !!!!! :)

What do you think so far?

Hey Jesse, no I didn't hardly trim at all. It came together pretty easy. I just fit one piece per night and plugged away at it. I did the over lapping seems as the instructions said and used E6000 on all of it. Just watch out for using too much glue and overly strong clamps so as to not deform the pieces. So far the only issue I have come up with is that the ab button plate is molded on upside down. But that shouldn't be that big of a deal. Good luck on your build too! Hope to troop with you and my Garrison mates soon! :)

I think the only thing I see is maybe move the biceps down more to cover more of the black under suit.

I think his biceps are good. Maybe he can attach the forearms to the biceps to move them up a little so they gap the black better and not so close to the hands.

There's a tutorial out there for this, I can't find it right now but I've seen someone post it.

Hey Jesse, no I didn't hardly trim at all. It came together pretty easy. I just fit one piece per night and plugged away at it. I did the over lapping seems as the instructions said and used E6000 on all of it. Just watch out for using too much glue and overly strong clamps so as to not deform the pieces. So far the only issue I have come up with is that the ab button plate is molded on upside down. But that shouldn't be that big of a deal. Good luck on your build too! Hope to troop with you and my Garrison mates soon! :)

what do you mean Ab button plate is molded upside down?

Oh shoot! Never mind! I see what you mean.. Damn that sucks! Tell Rob I am more then certain he will send you another Ab Plate. He ended sending me another Thermal Detonator because the one he sent was bad.. He is great at his customer satisfaction. So far he has been a great help and honestly it is a great feeling knowing that all your worries will be answered and not just put on the back burner after he gets his money. Great guy to deal with I am sure he could send you a replacement

Hey guys, I just got an email from Rob and he is sending me a new ab plate. This guy is just awesome!!! In the mean time I'll do a little more fitting and finish my blaster. I thought about taking the old ab plate and adding some blast damage or the like, what do you guys thing of that?