Stormy/ sandy abs?

It is down to prop replication vs costuming I believe is how I was explained it. If you want to do a specific trooper, gather as much reference material and go with it. The problem is that it is likely not approvable beyond basic acceptance. The additional levels are for a certain category of costume based on the most prominent examples available in the films.

Vincent,

The Sandtroopers are slightly different than your standard Stormtrooper including a 3-button unpainted Ab plate instead of the painted 4-button plate. Check out the CRL on the MEPD forum for other details like the knee plate, shoulder straps, etc.

I also believe having just one costume that doesn't match all the others isn't enough to warrant it's approval. Movie companies sometimes don't pay attention and use the wrong parts. We as a costuming group must show consistency. Like the helmet without tube stripes. It's just a screw up on the movie production company. It isn't some special version of the Stormtrooper so shouldn't be accepted.