Nylon Snap "Plates" w/ Tandy Line 24 Snaps

TK-42779

I wanted to do a start to finish how to detailing a couple steps in the process for seriously unskilled people who have never done anything like this before....like myself. lol :smiley-sw013:

First, creating the nylon snap "plates". (...has anyone come up with a better name than "plates" for this?)

Here are the tools that I used:

My "workspace" was created on a section of pegboard, pretty simple. ($3.00 at Ace Hardware)

Xp03ag0.jpg

Dritz 1" wide Nylon Strapping from Walmart. (Forgot to notate the price but about $2.00 per roll.)

EokTrAt.jpg

Ace brand combination square. ($7.00)

V3OKgrK.jpg

Weller brand soldering iron kit w/3 tips from Ace Hardware. ($18.99)

uL7x8ZO.jpg

Fiskars Ultimate Scissors from Walmart. ($15.00) The come apart to be used as a knife with a handle...I thought they were cool. lol

f7Hkw9W.jpg

White grease pencil from Ace Hardware. ($.89)

7AgpHhU.jpg

I adjusted the combo square to just over 2". (Over 2" to allow for the blunt pencil marking.) I made marks on the entire length of the roll of strapping and then used the scissors to cut the strips.

HX1jVxV.jpg

Then you line up one of the peg board holes with the center of the nylon piece. Heat the soldering iron and simply push through the nylon cleanly in and out. The soldering iron makes a clean hole and melts the nylon enough to prevent fraying.

WQOjhAK.jpg

I used the side of the soldering iron tip and gently dragged it across the ends of the cut pieces to melt the nylon to prevent fraying on each end.

fujWp8A.jpg

QdDXRRb.jpg

For the snaps I bought Tandy Line 24 snaps w/black plated finish from tandyleatherfactory.com ($4.99 per 10 snaps)

lUFoAEw.jpg

I also went ahead and bought the Tandy Snap Setter Kit that will work for various snaps. ($22.99)

VJdxk24.jpg

For the "cap" part (the rounded head part of the snap):

Cap

R4aZ98u.jpg

In the proper concave part of the anvil.

c6WeOM3.jpg

Place nylon over cap.

GwRxAO6.jpg

Place socket on top of nylon.

7mpl2NA.jpg

Use the largest set in the kit and be sure to keep the cap centered in the anvil and the set as vertical as possible when hammering.

PXYd0Ts.jpg

Hammer until parts are tight together with no loose play. DO NOT OVER HAMMER. The post of cap will flatten onto socket.

zklzjw5.jpg

Eyelets (the part the cap snaps into)

saUkur8.jpg

Flip the anvil over to the flat side and place stud.

ad9SfmJ.jpg

Nylon, eyelet and then hammer. Stud will flatten into eyelet.

Ox0sfDM.jpg

Eb5iJAU.jpg

TA-DA!

aVhqr1r.jpg

9rDSkv7.jpg

UDp7uvg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...